Tuesday, September 11, 2012

We've Hit Poo Poo Point Again

When I say we, I actually mean that my dog and I climbed to Poo Poo Point again. What did you think I meant? The economy? Why on earth would you think that? No, sir. This economy is vibrant and resilient. Nothing can ever stop it.

I brought a camera this time. It was an absolutely beautiful day for a FREE* deflationary hike in the Pacific Northwest.


Click to enlarge.


Click to enlarge.


Click to enlarge.


Click to enlarge.

That's our dog Honey guarding our flank as we rest. Good dog!


Click to enlarge.

Now she's guarding our other flank from the giant "birds" (as seen in the next picture).


Click to enlarge.

You can see two of the giant "birds" if you look closely.


Click to enlarge.

Here's a closeup. This "bird" was a tandem flight and the wind was a bit gusty. There were a few failed attempts to get off the ground. That no doubt added a bit of fear (and prompted me to wait with my camera). This particular attempt was pretty much straight up 10', straight back down 10', a scream was heard, there was some forward motion, and then finally success!


Click to enlarge.

No more screams were heard at this point. Can't say for sure if the tandem flier was still conscious. I say this somewhat tongue-in-cheek of course, lol. In all seriousness, I'd say the guide did a good job. I didn't sense much actual danger. It was definitely one of the wilder takeoffs though.


Click to enlarge.

That's Mount Rainier.

* Free recreational hike did not include 14 miles of round trip transportation costs in a 1996 Toyota Camry (estimated to be $7.77). That said, I stand by my belief that the best things in life are free (or are nearly free). If more people figure it out then our economy will no doubt crash (again). So probably best not to spread the word! Whatever you do, don't go posting these pictures on a blog. Keep it a secret! Oops. I apparently didn't think this through. Sorry!

11 comments:

Mr Slippery said...

Fantastic photos! Thanks.

Shot 4 looks like a steep climb ahead. Big trees; looks like a forest out of Lord of the Rings.

Shot 5: Honey looks thirsty.

Paragliders? No thank you. Good for the people that enjoy that. I did one tandem skydive and it will last me the rest of my life.

Mount Rainier. Stratovolcano! Elevation: 14,412 ft. I hear it calling you. Yes, I am sure it is beckoning. Does the snow ever melt?

Mt. Whitney melts in the summer. I plan to bag it next year, or another "fourteener".

As the most interesting man might say, "Stay hydrated, my friends."

Stagflationary Mark said...

Mr Slippery,

Shot 4 looks like a steep climb ahead.

The entire trail is pretty much consistently that steep. I couldn't do it justice with my camera. Take Shot 2. That's more of a stairway than a path. The camera isn't level. It's tilted uphill.

Shot 5: Honey looks thirsty.

She is *very* thirsty. She won't drink my water. I'm going to get her a collapseable water bowl and try to train her to use it at home though. Perhaps that will help.

Does the snow ever melt?

Not much.

As the most interesting man might say, "Stay hydrated, my friends."

Hahaha! Honey drank about a quart the instant we got home.

Stagflationary Mark said...

Honey did a great deal of prancing today. There is a small clearing near the top. Bounding is the word to describe what she did there. It put me in a really good mood. It's hard to be stressed out on that trail.

We saw lots of dogs. One was a Dachshund in a backpack (with only the head poking out). She walked all the way up apparently, but was given a free ride down. Very amusing!!

Mr Slippery said...

I couldn't do it justice with my camera. Take Shot 2. That's more of a stairway than a path. The camera isn't level. It's tilted uphill.

I get it. When I shoot a really steep trail, it comes out looking like a mild incline. Not sure if it is something with camera phones or what.

Strange that Honey won't drink your water. I would have thought that a thirsty dog would drink any water offered. I would.

Stagflationary Mark said...

Mr Slippery,

Strange that Honey won't drink your water.

She didn't have a problem eating her jerky treats.

1. Maybe she's too excited to drink?
2. Maybe she doesn't feel comfortable drinking from a cup? That's my girlfriend's theory. Honey understands that our cups and glasses are off limits at the house, as are the other things we might put on a coffee table. In fact, if we throw popcorn to her and some lands on the coffee table we have to get it for her. She won't touch it.

Stagflationary Mark said...

As for the photos, I suspect we're missing the depth perception provided by two eyes. There aren't enough visual cues in most photos. Shot 5 is anexception because it shows us the difference between the trail down and the trail up all in the same photo. Our brains can better adapt to the reality.

On that note, maybe we should call Ben "No Housing Bubble to Go Bust" Bernanke by a new name.

Ben "The Cyclops" Bernanke?
Ben "Objects in Rear View Mirror Are More Busted than They Appear" Bernanke?

Stagflationary Mark said...

Try covering up the right side of Shot 5. The path down doesn't look nearly as steep to me. Go figure.

dearieme said...

I like the way you edited the photos to exclude the bears and mountain lions.

Stagflationary Mark said...

dearieme,

It wasn't easy to do. There was a permabear (me) lurking within a foot of the camera in every single shot! ;)

Jazzbumpa said...

Honey poo poo?

JzB

Stagflationary Mark said...

Jazzbumpa,

Once, about 50 yards from the trail's only garbage cans. GOOD dog!!!! (No Honey Boo Boo! ;))