Tuesday, January 7, 2014

$1000 or Bust!


Click to enlarge.

Although we seem very determined to make it to $1000, I'm going to have to go with bust on this one.

1. The blue trend line was a noble effort.
2. The orange trend line offered renewed hope.
3. The red trend line doubled our efforts.

Three attempts. Three exponential trend failures.

Despair.com: Incompetence

When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do.

I'm told that the economy will soon accelerate from here. If it is true, then I have just one question.

Which direction?

Seriously. At best, the answer seems worthy of a coin toss.

Source Data:
St. Louis Fed: Custom Chart

2 comments:

Who Struck John said...

Not everything is an exponential trend. This looks like three linear trends that smacked into a glass ceiling at the $600 per capita level.

Stagflationary Mark said...

Who Struck John,

This is America! We almost always grow exponentially. That's the one thing we can almost always count on! And when we don't grow exponentially, we've got a legendary reason for it (be it credit bubbles popping, long-term employment trends failing, or inclement weather inhibiting our strong and resilient consumers).

(Just practicing in case someone in power wants me to appear on CNBC to pump up the markets some more.)

March 21, 2012
The 5 Charts I Shared with My Tax Preparer

After looking at the chart, she asked me why we were continuing to expand our ports. I simply shrugged my shoulders and said that the data doesn't appear to support it.

(Oops. It doesn't look like I'll be appearing on CNBC after all. Go figure.)