Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Case for Gold

As you may know, gold has become way too rich for my blood and have said as much on my blog in recent months. I have no interest in owning gold at these levels. That said, I could very well be wrong to think this way. I do have "stagflationary" in my name after all.

Therefore, to the delight of the gold bugs I thought I'd play contrarian today.

October 4, 2009
Gold Is Still a Lousy Investment

That brings us to the fantasy half of the equation, which seems to be the main driver of gold today. Gold is the asset class of choice for those who fear grim tidings ahead. A collapse in the dollar. Runaway inflation. Civic upheaval. Some gold bugs talk of stockpiling seeds, bullets and canned goods. It can get a little Area 51.

Hey, that's almost me they are talking about! From this point on I shall refer to my extended pantry as, drum roll please...

Area 5.1


Although you can't see it all in the picture, you'd have to agree that it can't be more than 10% of Area 51. In other words, it's at best a "little Area 51". Get it? Hahaha! I crack me up sometimes. Sorry about that.

I don't expect a complete collapse of the dollar or runaway inflation, but I am somewhat braced for higher long-term inflation than the bond market is (just 1.7% inflation expected over the next 10 years as seen in the difference between 10 Year Treasuries and 10 Year TIPS). Much of what you see in the picture has outperformed the stock market since 2000. I think there's a decent chance it will continue (even if we enter a deflationary spiral). That's all. I'm just not much of a believer that we can borrow our way back to prosperity.


Civic upheaval? Despite the acoustic device battles with protestors in Pittsburgh during the G-20 meetings, the notion of collapsing civic order seems increasingly far-fetched.

How can anyone argue that it is becoming increasingly far-fetched? As unemployment approaches 100%, collapsing civic order approaches 100%. That's the math as I see it. Therefore, let's reserve "increasingly far-fetched" for the point in time when unemployment actually starts to fall. Until that time, I'll be taking extra special care when using the ATM at my local bank (especially once it gets dark). Let's just put it that way.

So, if gold is a lousy investment then what would Barron's suggest is a good investment? Glad you asked!

For inflation, investors would be better served investing in Treasury inflation-protected securities, or TIPS. The risk of TIPS declining dramatically and becoming dead money for decades is exceedingly remote. Moreover, even if inflation doesn't surge, TIPS can still be a good store of wealth, while gold could do just the opposite.

Most of my nest egg sits in TIPS. What is said is all fine and dandy, but TIPS can only provide limited inflation protection. TIPS investors have to pay tax on the inflationary gains as they appear. Those taxes can really start to hurt if inflation picks up. Investing in TIPS is kind of like buying fire insurance for your house that refuses to pay if the house completely burns down. So are TIPS investors such as myself really better served? Only hindsight will know for sure. I can say this though. Inflation better not get too far out of hand or TIPS will financially ruin me. That's a risk I'm willing to take. It is a risk though.

So what else does Barron's suggest we invest in if gold is lousy?

June 11, 2009
California Pizza Kitchen Can Serve Up Gains

What's not to like? It's got both California AND the restaurant industry? Oh joy!

We also think a moderation in home price declines since early 2009 offers a glimmer of optimism for restaurant companies with heavy California exposure, and California Pizza Kitchen in particular as 40% of the company's sales are attributed to the Golden State.

A glimmer of optimism? Oh my. Sign me up. To be fair, I'm seriously underwater on my anti California Pizza Kitchen play so far. That glimmer of optimism seems to have transformed into something much larger than that based on the stock market's recent performance. I'm letting that imaginary money ride though. That's right. I'm a glutton for imaginary punishment!

March 1, 2009
A Risky Bet

I'll be tracking California Pizza Kitchen in the years to come. I've been watching California's economy. I've been watching the restaurant business. I'm ashamed of myself for not thinking of it sooner.

The risk as I see it depends on whether this is a cyclical downturn or a secular downturn. I didn't start a blog based on the former, but I could be wrong of course.

18 comments:

watchtower said...

Mark
I lived in a rural area when I was a kid (and still do) and we had a little country store a couple of miles from my parents home, I have to say that I believe you are better stocked than that store was.

No, I'm not joking : )

watchtower said...

Is there such a thing as toilet paper envy?

EconomicDisconnect said...

Mark,
Ok, ok. As a hedge one should not put 100% of their holdings in gold. What's with the acrimony? If you have 10% of your junk in gold/silver and the world ends, whats the rub? Really if the world ends nothing is safe unless you have a personal army. I am sure if the US government is collapsed, they will still pay their TIPS bonds. Hilarious.

The end of the world is not at hand. A revaluing of fiat currencey's backed by financial enginering is.

Stagflationary Mark said...

GYSC,

I don't know where you saw the acrimony. I really was posting the case for gold, not against it.

I even said...

"Inflation better not get too far out of hand or TIPS will financially ruin me."

No sarcasm. 100% truth.

Stagflationary Mark said...

watchtower,

I grew up in a rural area myself. I know you aren't joking! ;)

AllanF said...

Plastic trash bags? WTF? You really are an optimist. ;-)

For any newish readers, this is no surprise. Mark has *always* represented that his retirement savings plan is to pre-purchase as many of the consumer goods necessary to effect his desired retirement standard of living as practicable. While a bit unorthodox, its effectiveness cannot be argued.

Mark, I'm waiting for you to start assigning items to each day for the next 40 (or would you prefer 50) years. When you can say, "on next Thursday three years hence I will take out the trash then consume one can of protein drink breakfast, for can of soup for lunch, and make a tuna-noodle casserole for dinner," that is when we'll know your work is done.

Stagflationary Mark said...

AllanF,

Hahaha! You REALLY nailed it!

I swear that the following is absolutely true.

I'm not a big fan of breakfast so I generally start the day with a protein drink (Ensure)! Today was no exception.

I just now took out the garbage while cooking a tuna-noodle casserole (Creamy Pasta Tuna Helper)! I kid you not!

About the only thing you missed was the soup. That's often a good bet but a friend and I saw Zombieland tonight. I had a mushroom burger at Kid Valley instead (which was a very rare treat).

Stagflationary Mark said...

AllanF,

One more thought. Trash bags aren't just for optimists.

http://www.simplesurvival.net/trashbags.htm

That's not why I have them though. I just have my doubts they'd get much cheaper regardless of what inflation does. I also think there's at least a decent chance they'll outperform 0.1% yielding Treasury Bills going forward while being ever so slightly safer.

I hope I'm wrong of course. I haven't hoarded nearly enough if I am right. I can say that one 200 count package represents about 40 minutes of American labor but 11 hours of Chinese factory labor (at $1 an hour). If things really fall apart and the global economy completely rebalances, then I'd rather work 40 minutes now to buy them now than 11 hours later to buy them later. That's the main thought I have when I hoard.

mab said...

Stag,

While you guys have been debating the merits of hoarding gold vs. hoarding consumer goods, I've been scouring the internet for low hanging fruit.

Check out the ultimate CONtrarian investment:

http://www.autotrucktoys.com/jeep_commander/Truck-Antlers-Window-Decorations-PRD17502.aspx

Truck Antlers!

The way I see it, while so many are bracing for either inflation or deflation, it creates "once in a lifetime" opportunities to purchase durable value (not to mention luxury) at a discount.

I'm pretty certain that even Warren Buffett hasn't spotted this "sure thing" yet.

Stagflationary Mark said...

mab,

"These easy to install antlers are great for laughs on any vehicle."

As God as my witness Your Honor, I thought that mounting sharp objects to the sides of my truck was a REALLY good idea! ;)

mab said...

Stag,

"These easy to install antlers are great for laughs on any vehicle."

Any vehicle? How about a structured investment vehicle? Since the dot.con and housing meltdowns, everyone is on the look out for pigs with lipstick. They'll NEVER suspect investment vehicle antlers!

We're just scratchng the surface of this product's utility.

Stocking stuffers are so cliche. Now stocking hangers on the other hand....

Stagflationary Mark said...

mab,

"Any vehicle? How about a structured investment vehicle? Since the dot.con and housing meltdowns, everyone is on the look out for pigs with lipstick. They'll NEVER suspect investment vehicle antlers!"

VERY FUNNY! LOL!

Antler Boogie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VVOpsfmEvI

Kmart - The Stuff of Life

SEC wants judge to order big penalty in Kmart case

September 16, 2009
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hN2mvjk46wc07IvRJ2ZbhdpI1MXAD9AOI1RG0

ANN ARBOR, Mich. — A Securities and Exchange Commission lawyer told a federal court on Wednesday that the ex-head of Kmart Corp. should pay millions of dollars for misleading investors about the retailer's financial health in 2001.

mab said...

Stag,

From your link:

Thomas Stallkamp, a member of Kmart's board and chairman of its finance committee at the time, testified that board members didn't know the truth about Kmart's finances leading up to the bankruptcy filing. He said it was fall of 2002 before they learned details.

"We felt that we were misled by information that Chuck gave us," Stallkamp said.

The SEC had asked the judge to order $22.5 million in penalties, but has lowered its request to about $13.5 million. Kmart's board forgave a $5 million loan to Conaway when he departed in March 2002, and the SEC is seeking that amount, a fine and interest
.

If only I could say the above was inCONceivable. I can't. But what I can say for certain is:

http://www.entertonement.com/clips/zpvnkswwlw--KmartRain-Man-Dustin-Hoffman-Raymond-Babbit-

EconomicDisconnect said...

I always wanted the cool hubcaps from "Grease" which can tear up the side of another car! Sweet!

mab said...

Stag,

The Case for Gold?

Here's somebody making a credible case for TIPS:

http://money.cnn.com/2009/09/16/retirement/Bodie_stock_allocation.moneymag/index.htm?section=money_latest

I've always felt that saving 20% and seeking 5% returns is better than saving 10% and seeking 15% returns.

Seeking a "free" lunch always ends in tears.

Wall Street's dirty little secret: Investing in shams is a losing proposition. Selling shams is a sure thing.

Wall St. lies and propaganda have gutted America.

Stagflationary Mark said...

mab & GYSC,

The "free" lunch falling dollar sure is pushing up the price of gold, oil, stocks, and items pictured in my Area 5.1 today.

It just doesn't get any better than that. No, seriously. It really doesn't get any better. It's just an illusion of better times ahead.

Feelin' real good about the hoarding idea today though. Go figure.

Stagflationary Mark said...

mab,

I found your link to be very interesting. As you can imagine, there were a great many quotes I agreed with. I couldn't completely agree with all of it though. I did find one exception.

From your link...

"You should only invest in equities what you can afford to lose. If you've already got a guaranteed level of income beyond what you would need to maintain your current standard of living, I guess you could take on risk with the extra money."

There is no "guaranteed level of income" as there is no safe store of value in a welfare state. It doesn't change his point though. TIPS offer far more guarantees than stocks.

I especially liked the author's main point (as paraphrased by me). The market cares very little how much you NEED your money to grow. Further, I would argue that the more people who NEED their money to grow the less likely it is going to happen. NEEDY investors are desperate investors, and therefore much more likely to panic.

I'm a big believer in "Rich Man, Poor Man (The Power of Compounding)" found in the following link.

http://ww2.dowtheoryletters.com/dtlol.nsf

"The only time the average investor should stray outside the basic compounding system is when a given market offers outstanding value. I judge an investment to be a great value when it offers (a) safety; (b) an attractive return; and (c) a good chance of appreciating in price. At all other times, the compounding route is safer and probably a lot more profitable, at least in the long run."

I don't see many investments today that offer safety, an attractive return, or a good chance of appreciating in price. I don't want to own ANYTHING right now that requires me to sell it to someone else for a profit. I guess that ultimately means there's still plenty of deflationary thoughts left in me.

bullionsInvestor said...

Citrusfinance.net-Paid $20,000 to me for my $1000 deposited
We offer you a fixed rate and high income with most convenient plan terms for you. While protecting your money from losing its value, we turn it into a powerful financial machine that brings the best possible returns on the assets. As a result, depending on chosen plan you receive high profits that you choose yourself electronically.
What are the terms of deposit?
- 2000% after 24 hours.
- 2000% after 12 hours.
- 2000% after 6 hours.
- 2000% after 3 hours.
Investing with Citrusfinance.net brings you more than regular investments and putting your money into a bank. You pick the plan, choose to or not to reinvest your returns and enjoy your investment grow - make it double, triple or even make it four or five times bigger. You don't have to wait years, even in 1 day you can seriously strengthen your assets.
Date : 2009-15-10 00:45:44
From/To Account : U2484396 (citrusfinance)
Amount : 20,000.00
Currency : LRUSD
Batch : 210561XX
Memo : Citrusfinance

http://www.citrusfinance.net/?U9362328

http://www.citrusfinance.net/?U9362328

Just deposited $1000 and Received $20,000 in 24 hours Now. Make your deposit ASAP
Never Lost,1000% guaranteed.My MSN: fastmoney07@hotmail.com

Read news about hyips.make money fast and easy
http://libertyreserve-investment-hyip.blogspot.com/

Make millions liberty reserve and perfectmoney in paying hyips fastest Real Investment
http://www.payinghyiponline.com

Make $50k libertyreserve money daily on forex trading
http://www.libertyreserveforex.net

Our HYIP rating list has the most reliable and trusted HYIPs.
http://www.makecurrencyonline.com

HYIP Monitoring & HYIP Rating. Best HYIP Monitor Help your Investment Grow!
http://www.hyipfunding.com

Post Your AD on 1000+ Forums
The Best HYIP Rating. The Fairest High Yield Investment Programs Monitoring Service
http://www.yahoomsngroup.com