Monday, September 20, 2010

The Recession Ended! (Musical Tribute)

NBER declares recession ended in June 2009

The Great Recession ended in June 2009, according to the body charged with dating when economic downturns begin and end.


Click to enlarge.

Barring two notable exceptions in the chart, the Fed can now begin to raise interest rates. As a saver, this is fantastic news. Hurray!

Why are the two exceptions the two previous recessions though? Coincidence?

What if the Fed must actually lower interest rates further? We are already at the 0% floor.

Oh heck, that's probably just me being a worrier. Time for the party hats!



What's going on in the video? Heck if I know. I've never played the world's most popular free MMO. It definitely seems related to the economy though.

Forums sell party hats for 100% junk
Also great for lenders
70% of the junk people give you
Do sell over night.


Special thanks to Calculated Risk: How do you put recession bars on graphs using Excel?. I couldn't do all of it due to having such an old version of Excel but it sure beats the heck out of doing it manually in Paint Shop Pro.

Source Data:
FRB: Selected Interest Rates
NBER: Business Cycles

5 comments:

Stagflationary Mark said...

58 more points to go until the magical rubicon point is reached, again! Woohoo!

mab said...

Stag,

58 more points to go until the magical rubicon point is reached, again! Woohoo!

I can't wait. It's going to be glorious just like Candy Mountain. My charts are showing an un-mistakable leoploradon pattern. The RubinCON line is a lock. Shun the non-believers (bears).

Stagflationary Mark said...

mab,

My charts are showing an un-mistakable leoploradon pattern.

That is just way too funny, lol.

For those just tuning in, Candy Mountain has become somewhat of an inside joke around here. I never tire of it.

mab said...

Stag,

I never tire of it.

How can one tire of it while "investors" keep getting CONned out of their hard earned money by Wall St. and its enablers at the Fed and CONgress?

Stagflationary Mark said...

mab,

I never seem to tire of H.P. Lovecraft quotes either. Go figure.

Doubt of the real facts, as I must reveal them, is inevitable; yet if I suppressed what will seem extravagant and incredible there would be nothing left.

Thanks to our budget and trade deficits, we're very much working on that nothing left part.