Sunday, April 18, 2021

Tech vs. Utilities (Musical Tribute)

The following chart shows the QQQ to XLU ratio since 1999.

Chart courtesy of StockCharts.com.

The ratio peaked in 2000. 21 years later, we've almost come full circle. What good fortunes will the next 21 years bring? Fully autonomous self-driving cars? Better late than never. Am I right?



This is not investment advice. As a utility investor, I am indifferent when it comes to how utilities perform relative to tech stocks from here. That said, it would not surprise me in the least if utilities outperform Tesla. Keep in mind that I want Tesla to succeed, just as I would have wanted Ford to succeed in the early days if I would have been a gasoline investor.

As a side note, my first mower was gas-powered. My next mower was battery-powered. I really liked how quiet it was, but I did not like that, as it got older, it took more than one charge to mow my lawn (nor did I like that the battery was not easy to swap out). My current mower is gas-powered. Spent more than an hour today cleaning its carburetor. My next mower may be battery-powered, again. As much as the thought of a fully-autonomous self-driving lawn mower appeals to me, I don’t think I’m emotionally prepared to risk having it mow over things that randomly might appear in my lawn completely unsupervised though. You know, like the neighborhood kids and pets.

I’m not even emotionally prepared to risk owning a fully-autonomous self-driving vacuum. We have two dogs and a cat. All it took was one poopocalypse story involving a Roomba to cure me of that desire.

3 comments:

Mr Slippery said...

This is golden age of grotesque speculation in Tesla and crypto. I want electric cars to succeed and Tesla has helped that cause, but I don't care what happens to the carnival barker Musk who lies almost as much as Trump. He sold full autonomous driving for $5k to buyers in 2016 and promised to deliver in 2017. Still waiting, but the buyers love the abuse.

With a 690 billion market cap and P/E of 1,123, Tesla has already succeeded. Tesla had 4 consecutive quarters of profit, not from selling cars, but carbon credits. At it's current price, it will only take 11 centuries to earn what is already priced into the stock. Somehow it is worth 3 Toyotas, even though Toyota makes 20 times the profit and throws off a fat dividend. But there is no reasoning with the cult of Musk. It has worked so far.

I like Ratt cover of Round and Round.

Stagflationary Mark said...

TSLA:TM

Pandemic carnival barking stimulus bubble?

P.S. Love Ratt’s version. Still have the CD. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr Slippery, Trump Won.

Hope you got the poisonous poke, get the booster shot too and no second thoughts.

OK?