Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Ross Gittins: Stagflation Fears Are Nonsense

June 13, 2008
Stagflation? History shows the fears are nonsense

One reason to learn economics is to get a handle on what's worth worrying about and what isn't. You don't need to know a lot of economics to know the possibility of simultaneously worsening inflation and rising unemployment isn't worth losing any sleep over.

You certainly don't need to know a lot of economics when you visit Zimbabwe. There's 85% unemployment and nearly one million percent inflation. I certainly sleep better knowing that what they are going through is nonsense.

To me, a tell-tale sign of incomprehension is anyone who says we're headed for stagflation. You know they're too young to have lived through the stagflation of the 1970s and so know what it really is, what caused it and why it's highly unlikely to happen at present.

I've apparently been a tell-tale sign of incomprehension since 2004. It is/was my belief that negative real interest rates (conveniently ignored in his analysis) create vast hoarding opportunities. Further, I would argue that the "present" has been nearly a decade so far. Very few investments have kept up with the price of gold over the last nine years. Next up, toilet paper?

Most of the silly talk we hear of stagflation arises simply because it takes time for a change in direction to work its way through the economy. Because there's a relatively brief lag before slowing demand leads to a declining inflation rate.

Here's some "silly talk" Ross Gittins was offering in 1999. Too bad he didn't mention stagflation fears back then. It would have been a fantastic time to embrace stagflation whole-heartedly (i.e., invest in oil, gold, and silver). He was too busy writing how great things were instead.

June 12, 1999
Australia's "golden age" of prosperity ... and poverty

The headline on a comment by the Sydney Morning Herald's economics correspondent summed it up: “Just why we've never had it so good”. The article's underline, however, went on: “Sure the ‘60s were great. But, writes Ross Gittins, if you stop looking in the rear vision mirror, you'll see the ‘90s are even better.”

The “rear vision mirror” refers to the social and human price being exacted by these processes. Output, productivity and profits are soaring, benefitting a thin privileged layer, precisely through the destruction of jobs, living standards and social conditions for the majority of people.

Two days after the “golden age” report was released, the latest labour force statistics showed that full-time employment is continuing to fall. Economists and business commentators had confidently predicted that the current 4 percent annual economic growth would translate into a rise of up to 50,000 in employment levels during May. Instead, the total number of people employed increased by just 1,000. Part-time employment rose 7,500, but full-time fell by 6,500. Moreover, another 15,700 people gave up looking for full-time work. The official unemployment rate remained unchanged at 7.5 percent.


Perhaps the "golden age" was to be taken literally. You could have bought gold for a mere $260 an ounce in June of 1999. It is now $891.

So let's sum this up. My fears are nonsense. I'm incomprehensible. I'm silly. I should stop losing sleep. Oh how I wish I could do the latter.

I'll try to remember that when I'm paying 18% higher medical insurance premiums starting in August (which I am). Instead, I'll write a letter to my insurance company explaining that since unemployment is picking up what they are doing is nearly as nonsensical as what is going on in Zimbabwe. I'll write a similar letter to China and explain that they must continue to send us even cheaper goods and must immediately stop using the paper money we send them (in exchange) to buy oil. It is nonsense! That money was best kept buried in a secret chest never to be seen again!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stag,

What a perfect name for a wall street cheerleader.

The wall street mantra: Git while the Gittins good.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark,

I've always said if I can semi-retire early (which, actually, is now possible thanks to the latest set of regional bank blow-ups woo-hoo Wamu :-) I'd get a part-time job at the local yuppie grocery store. My two biggest expenses are food and insurance. Working for a grocery store subsidizes precisely those two.

Actually, because there's always something to worry about, I worry that by the time I'm actually ready to work for the grocery, the job market will be so bad I won't be able to get in. As I believe the Fates love to f- with us, this would be right up their alley.

Stagflationary Mark said...

MAB,

Abbott: Who gits while the Gittins good?
Costello: Not gits!

Okay, okay. They didn’t actually say that. They should have though! Gits would never git while the Gittins good!

I should point out that I'm heckling the "nonsense" risk, not necessarily the outcome. Risks don’t necessarily turn into realities. It is quite possible stagflation isn't in our future. I just lean that way long-term and so far it hasn't let me down. I'm just so tired of the wage-price spiral arguments and that nobody is going to hoard arguments.

First, if wages had actually exceeded inflation in the 1970s we'd still be having stagflation. Nobody would have complained. Carter would have been a very popular president amongst the working class. Instead we would have heard:

The price of gasoline doubled? Big deal! My wages tripled! Woohoo! Here's hoping for more of the same! I'm gittin' bloody rich!

Second, there is clearly no reason to hoard during good times. Times are good. There’s no point. Gittins argues that there is no reason to hoard during bad times either. Prices can only get cheaper. Therefore, if one combines the two arguments then there is NEVER a good time to hoard. Uh huh, yeah right. Tell that to the Germans in 1923.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperinflation
The main cause of hyperinflation is a massive and rapid increase in the amount of money, which is not supported by growth in the output of goods and services.

AllanF,

Actually, because there's always something to worry about, I worry that by the time I'm actually ready to work for the grocery, the job market will be so bad I won't be able to get in. As I believe the Fates love to f- with us, this would be right up their alley.

Knowing your plan, if I am ever elected into office I'll be sure to heavily subsidize yuppie “stock boys” just like our current government.

Like you, I worry that by the time I'm actually ready to work for the government, the lynch mobs may be so bad I won't want to get in. ;)

Who am I kidding? I don't want to work for government. I'm too busy trying to fend off my local homeowner association yard police, lol.

Anonymous said...

homeowner association yard police

Yeah, I've been by your place. No matter how hard you try to landscape around them, you're not gonna make any friends with those PODS full of tp, rice, and underwear you have out back.

Stagflationary Mark said...

AllanF,

No matter how hard you try to landscape around them, you're not gonna make any friends with those PODS full of tp, rice, and underwear you have out back.

Don't spoil the surprise ending of the upcoming "Invasion of the Prosperity Snatchers" movie.

It is going to be a neighborhood block buster. ;)

Well, I don't know what they are; I never saw them before. They looked like great big seed pods. - Ambulance Driver, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, 1956

Listen to me! Please listen! If you don't, if you won't, if you fail to understand, then the same incredible terror that's menacing me WILL STRIKE AT YOU! - Dr. Miles J. Bennell, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, 1956