Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Cherry Bomb (Musical Tribute)

February 28, 2011
CNBC: A Promising Start to the Year for Stocks?

Since 1940 (that’s over the past 71 years), the Dow has started the year with gains in both January and February 26 times. When that has happened, only once (in 1974) has the Dow finished the year with a loss.

I love the cherry picking here!

1. We're excluding years before 1940 even though the data is readily available.
2. There had to be gains in both January AND February. It apparently wasn't enough to just just say there were gains by the end of February.
3. Inflation isn't factored in.

I've done a bit of research on my own. Here is what happens when we use all of the data.

Since the dawn of Dow creation, if the Dow has started the year with gains in January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, and December then the Dow has never finished the year with a loss. Never!

Could there really be gains in every single month for an entire year? Sure! Picture stocks doubling every month but the cost of goods and services tripling. Woohoo! What a "promising start" that would be.


It's pretty amazing what statistics can do for us.

The average human has one breast and one testicle. - Des McHale

March 1, 2011
Oil sparks fear on Wall St as market falls

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Concerns that rising oil prices could hurt economic recovery prompted investors on Tuesday to sell stocks and hedge against further declines.



Hey street boy whats your style?
Your dead end dreams don't make you smile


Welcome to Japan and/or the 1970s.

3 comments:

EconomicDisconnect said...

Good post and one of my favorite songs! Joan Jett rocks.

Mr Slippery said...

CNBC did their job! Lots of wool on the ground at the end of the day.

That video makes me feel dirty. I need to watch it again.

Stagflationary Mark said...

GYSC,

Joan Jett, 1977, and Japan? How could I pass that up? ;)

Mr Slippery,

That video makes me feel dirty. I need to watch it again.

Yeah, I saw CNBC offer those misleading statistics on the TV late last night (early this morning). It made me feel very dirty.

Oh wait. Maybe you mean Cherry Bomb. ;)