Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Flaw in My Thinking?

I've been basing my worst-case scenario on a combination of the Great Depression, the 1970s, and Japan. I'm starting to think I was too optimistic, yet again.

TechTicker: FT.com's Martin Wolf "We'll Be Lucky if Downturn Only as Bad as Japan's"

Wolf, who is also a professor of economics at University of Nottingham, believes "it will be lucky" if the current downturn is only as bad as Japan's so-called lost decade. Unlike the U.S. today, Japan was able to count on a strong global economy to mitigate the affects of its burst bubble and struggling financial system. "There is no world economy to rescue the U.S.," he says. "Chances are [it will prove] much worse than Japan." (editor's note: wait, I thought China was going to save the U.S.?)

He makes a very good point.

Arguing today's toxic assets are "fundamentally worthless" - and there's lots more losses coming - Wolf says the lack of political will (or outright cowardice) to admit to reality means "we're really in trouble." Why? Because confidence in policymakers will continue to deteriorate as their ill-conceived solutions continue to fail.

We are so, well, you know. I've been thinking it since 2004. What I wasn't thinking was just how, well, you know, we really are.

There's nothing stagflationary about what happened today. Everything was in the red, from stocks to bond yields, to the CRB. My TIP fund had a good day (up 0.46%) but its non-inflation protected counterpart IEF had a much, much better day (up 1.34%).

As a side note, my girlfriend just bought a pair of Dockers for $2 at Ross. They were 75% off of $7.98, which was already a heavily discounted price. Is Starbucks pricing two pairs of pants equals one cup of coffee into their business plan?

There's currently deflation out there. No doubt about it.


Calculated Risk: Obama on Nationalization

Sweden, on the other hand, had a problem like this. They took over the banks, nationalized them, got rid of the bad assets, resold the banks and, a couple years later, they were going again. So you'd think looking at it, Sweden looks like a good model. Here's the problem; Sweden had like five banks. [LAUGHS] We've got thousands of banks. You know, the scale of the U.S. economy and the capital markets are so vast and the problems in terms of managing and overseeing anything of that scale, I think, would -- our assessment was that it wouldn't make sense. And we also have different traditions in this country.

Scale, vast, problems, and scale are what I see when I read between the lines. A normal cyclical downturn is something I don't see. I certainly wouldn't have started this blog up in 2007 if that's all I thought was coming.

TIPS: The Swiss Army Knife of the Bond Market

I argued that the government-guaranteed real yield on TIPS was compelling regardless of one's view on inflation.

That is and was my thinking. Further, my view of inflation is decidedly undecided, now more than ever. If deflation really sets in with a Great Depression style vengeance then I could easily lose 8% this year. It isn't as bad as it sounds though, once 10% cheaper prices are factored in. As a saver, it beats the heck out of hyperinflation.

But with oil and energy prices stabilizing and even rising over the past month or so, negative CPI months are much less likely to occur going forward.

I am sympathetic to that argument but we don't know that for sure. The stock market has also been stabilizing, right up until today that is. The experts continue to tell us that last November marked the bottom. Their reasoning? We haven't had a new bottom since. Wow. I sure hope they are paid the big bucks.

Never mind that staring at the obvious trends within historic charts is what helped to get us into this problem in the first place. Housing and stock market prices only went up, oil was always cheap, deficits didn't matter, and the banking system was riding an unprecedented wave of American prosperity, remember? Good times, good times.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stag,

Paul Kasriel is one of the few economists I take seriously. Kasriel seems to be objective whereas most other economists are hell bent on selling financial products or political agendas. Dismally dishonest science (aka propaganda).

http://www.safehaven.com/article-12560.htm

From the above link:

I believe that large increases in federal government spending that are monetized by the Fed and the banking system will result in a recovery in real economic activity.

Understandably, everyone is looking at the past to predict the future. My thinking is that the present is much more important than the past. To wit: If we let the market largely attend to itself, I think we would have a 1930s style deflationary bust. If we support the economy, yet don't go crazy with monetization, I see a Japan like malaise. If we monetize debt like crazy, I see a wild and ruinous roller coaster ride ahead with a few big winners and lots of losers.

One flaw I see in Kasriel's piece is that the "hurdles" of the 1930s that he refers to were actually nothing of the sort. The debt bust of the 1930s actually cleared the "hurdles" and thus cleared the way for growth. Today's debt preservation moves have the opposite effect as I believe the excessive debts in our economy will stifle lending & borrowing growth (a la Japan). In that sense, I think monetization today will be less effective unless it is done in large doses.

In any event, my eyes are glued on the fed. I continue to believe that we won't see significant monetization, but I also realize that there is no actual plan and that anything is possible.

Imo, printing would ruin what's left of the free market not to mention international trust and our reserve currency franchise. I think central bank independence would also be shot forever.

Nothing is certain.

Stagflationary Mark said...

mab,

Interesting article. I tend to agree with your conclusions.

One thing that bothers me about direct comparisons to the Great Depression though is that there are many other variables to consider and few of them are good for us.

For example, I am typing this response using a Japanese Playstation 3, a Japanese television, and a Japanese stereo. Just whose economy will we ultimately end up stimulating? (This is my very first attempt!)

As a side note, if we do manage to see a large increase in real economic activity, I strongly suspect that we'll be seeing much of it in the price of oil. More cars were sold in China last month than in the United States. That's a bit ahead of schedule (thanks to our car sales falling off a cliff).