Monday, December 31, 2012

The "Free Lunch" Weight Loss Plan v.019

All things considered, it's been a pretty good month. I continue to climb a minimum of 20 extra flights of stairs each day.


Click to enlarge.

I started the month off at 204, which is my lowest weight in years. I ended at that same weight. Go figure.

I can really feel the seasonal effects. For the most part I managed to offset them (either consciously or subconsciously, not exactly sure which).

On the one hand, my girlfriend made 6 pies since Thanksgiving. Since there are just two of us, I think it would be safe to say that roughly 3 of them went into me, lol. The Tillamook ice cream sales this month at the local grocery stores did some damage as well. I'm particularly fond of chocolate and peanut butter with chocolate syrup on top. As I've said from the beginning, this is not a diet plan. I eat what I want and when I want. In my opinion, life's too short to be eating rice cakes.

On the other hand, I walked more than 150 miles outside. Just like last month! It was very enjoyable. Our dog would strongly agree. I also did 3 marathon sessions on the indoor stair climber. On the 5th of December, I set what I think is a new all-time personal best of 44 minutes and 57 seconds to climb 200 flights of stairs. As far as my legs and cardiovascular system go, I consider myself to be in relatively good shape right now.


Click to enlarge.

I walked outside a minimum of 1.5 miles each and every day since November 1st (averaging about 5 miles per day). I thought it was just a November thing, but I can't seem to stop. Maybe it's turning into a new habit too. Exercise begets exercise.

Once again, it all started with baby steps.

Here's a fun fact. It takes about a minute to climb up and down 5 flights of stairs. I have never regretted doing it afterwards. Something is still better than nothing. Give it a try sometime. You might like how you feel. You've got nothing to lose (except excess weight).

I'll consider jogging if I ever see a jogger smiling. - Joan Rivers

Considering walking! In the rain! With an umbrella! It apparently works for me. I may not be singing in the rain, but I'm smiling more often than not. :)

And lastly...

Happy New Year!

See Also:
The "Free Lunch" Weight Loss Plan v.000

24 comments:

Troy said...

I was at 175 again last week but added 9 pounds in 5 days of eating, LOL.

http://i.imgur.com/ypb62.png

No worries. Have a great 2013. I WILL be getting DSR up & down this year!

I was playing ye olde Empire Deluxe in DOSBox last week, what a chore that game was.

Ironically I've only seen screenshots of DSR over the past 20+ years, but I know what the game has to be.

Fritz_O said...

I can really feel the seasonal effects.

LOL

You and the economy both!

Happy New Year!

Stagflationary Mark said...

Troy,

9 pounds in 5 days? Amazing! That would definitely be a personal best for me, lol. As you said, no worries though. It's not like it has undone all that good work.

I was playing ye olde Empire Deluxe in DOSBox last week, what a chore that game was.

Oh the hours I've played that one! I recall one night in particular. When I finished the game I noticed that everything that was supposed to be white looked purple. I knew then that I'd been staring at a mostly green video game for too many hours consecutively. This fascinated me immensely!

Near as I can tell, I overworked the green cones in my eyes leaving only the red and blue ones working properly. Fortunately, the effect was temporary, lol.

DSR? I'm drawing a blank here. Is it a Dai Senryaku game of some sort?

Stagflationary Mark said...

Fritz_O,

You and the economy both!

I think the economy's problems won't go away if we all walk 150 miles though. That's especially true for Detroit should everyone there start walking north, lol. Sigh.

Happy Gallows Humor Year! ;)

Fritz_O said...

Fortunately, the effect was temporary, lol.

If only we could say the same for Fed policies.

At this point in time I truly think I'm going to be ZIRP'd to death.

Maybe even beyond.

On a side note, while everyone else was watching a silly ball dropping, I was watching this on DVD.

I Wonder Why... said...

Mable honey,

When I clicked on your link (I must have been a fool to do so) my virus software said something to the effect that you are a worthless POS.

Happy Screw Year!

dearieme said...

"I'm particularly fond of chocolate and peanut butter with chocolate syrup on top."

Some satire just goes too far to be credible. Anyway, happy New Year.

Watchtower said...

Happy New Year Mark!

Hope you and your family have a good one.

Mr Slippery said...

The chart looks great! Congrats and keep up the good work.

Stagflationary Mark said...

Fritz_O,

On a side note, while everyone else was watching a silly ball dropping, I was watching this on DVD.

I hear you. See one silly ball drop seen 'em all. I opted to play a video game instead. Big shocker!

Stagflationary Mark said...

I Wonder Why,

Mable's comment was deleted with much enthusiasm.

Isn't the Internet wonderful? Never have so many tried to make so little off so many, mainly through malware and/or popup ads. Sigh.

Troy said...

I first discovered DSR in a Japanese magazine in 1990:

DSR III.

There was actually an ~20pg booklet insert into the magazine that covered all aspects of the game . . . Couldn't read more than 5% of it back then, LOL.

I had played Interstel's Empire on the Amiga in 1989-90 so I knew what the basic idea was.

I farted around with making a Mac version for a couple of years but couldn't get the game to gel.

Then Civ & Panzer General came out and stole my thunder.

Anyhoo, here's a graph I made for DeLong:

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/graph/?g=ear

Real (2012 dollars) per-capita (non-financial sector) debt

Stagflationary Mark said...

dearieme,

Some satire just goes too far to be credible. Anyway, happy New Year.

And yet I really do cover the chocolate and peanut butter with even more chocolate. For some strange reason my girlfriend thinks it's overkill, lol.

Stagflationary Mark said...

Watchtower,

May we all get what's coming to us in 2013!

Hmmm. Perhaps I should rephrase that. ;)

Stagflationary Mark said...

Mr Slippery,

I just keep plugging along. So far so good! I walked another 7 miles since I posted it. Go figure.

I'm not sure how to count it though. My sleep schedule is currently FUBAR. I'm still up from last night!

Stagflationary Mark said...

Troy,

I get very tempted to make a strategy hex game neverending rpg every now and then. Seriously.

I'd probably never finish it though. I don't think I could ever declare it to be complete, lol.

Fatboy said...

Hey Fatman, From your own chart, it appears your weight skyrockets from the first of the new year which is where we're at currently

AllanF said...

"I just keep plugging along. So far so good! I walked another 7 miles since I posted it. Go figure."

Aren't you worried about prematurely running out of gold-toes?

I would expect all this walking to have an impact on their wear rate. What was your supply in man-years anyway? Have you recomputed since starting the exercise program? When was the last time? Trend failure yet? Happy New Year. ;^)

BTW, the math app's been moving like gang-busters [well, the free demo anyway :-)]. The Christmas Day bump was hilarious. Given how specialized the appeal of our app is, and the 10x jump in downloads we saw, I can only imagine how many Kindle Fires were sitting under Christmas trees waiting to be powered up. I bet Amazon's servers were smoking.

Scott said...

Best wishes for the new year, Mark!

Stagflationary Mark said...

Fatboy,

November was when the skyrocketing began last year. I managed to negate the seasonal effects this time, at least so far.

Stagflationary Mark said...

AllanF,

Aren't you worried about prematurely running out of gold-toes?

I backed up the truck on Costco hiking socks. Cotton apparently isn't the greatest for walking long distances.

That said, one of my gold-toes developed a hole well before its time. Must have snagged on something. Oh the humanity! ;)

Stagflationary Mark said...

Scott,

And to you! :)

TJandTheBear said...

http://contraryinvestor.com/mo.htm

Stagflationary Mark said...

TJandTheBear,

From your link...

Again, we’re not there at present, but will 2013 see a period of perceptual adjustment relating to the long held deflationary bias?

I'm going to say no. It's just an opinion of course but I still have plenty of deflationary thoughts (mostly balanced by plenty of inflationary ones).