Sunday, May 16, 2010

Attention All Crows!

I joked in the comments that I must have a crow friendly blog based on how the "Who Is Smarter?" poll results are coming in so far. I therefore offer some news crows might enjoy.

The carry trade is dying.

April 26, 2010
Dollar Strength Grows as Carry Trade Profits Shrink (Update2)

“There is no easy money left in the carry trade,” said Henrik Pedersen, the London-based chief investment officer at Pareto Investment Management Ltd., which oversees $45 billion in currency assets.

“Most of the high-yielding currencies are overvalued and the low-yielders are undervalued,” he said. “The gains you can make on the interest-rate differentials are not going to make you 20 percent a year, it’s probably only going to make you about 2 or 3 percent.”


Meanwhile, the carrion trade is alive and well!

May 16, 2010
Libor Increases, Euro Falls

There is nothing magical about "parity" except it makes a good headline - and would be a significant decline.

I'm not smart enough to determine where the euro goes from here, but that doesn't mean that the crows can't figure it out. I can say that I've never owned the euro. I continue to sit in U.S. TIPS and I-Bonds.

17 comments:

EconomicDisconnect said...

Are you kiddign me! The crows use the cars to break the nuts? That is just unreal. That makes those crows smarter than me already, geez.

I have some pastrami pics up tonight that I made this weekend.

OMG!
My verification word is "zoole" ; just like in Ghostbusters!

Stagflationary Mark said...

GYSC,

It's more than just using cars to break the nuts. If you watch the entire video, you'll see that the bird is also using the crosswalk.

It has figured out that if it drops the nuts at a crosswalk then it can eat the nuts when the light is red.

Amazing!

EconomicDisconnect said...

I always loved these shows with David Attenborough.

Stagflationary Mark said...

GYSC,

Check this one out.

Amazing! Bird sounds from the lyre bird - David Attenborough - BBC wildlife

4.2 million views. You won't be disappointed. The bird mimics what it has heard, from chainsaws to camera shutters.

EconomicDisconnect said...

More proof of the amazing brains of crows:
http://tinyurl.com/22sfx3m
maybe slightly NSFW but funny!

I like how that crow thinks!

Stagflationary Mark said...

Hahaha!

EconomicDisconnect said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNwuhjqSLCc

"See the crows; they have never tasted prince before!"

EconomicDisconnect said...

Now I am really upset! Ronnie James DIO died today and All my heroes fall in time. Now I am aggravated.

Stagflationary Mark said...

GYSC,

Speaking of dying heroes and crows...

The Crow - Bring Me To Life

I really liked The Crow. The song is by Evanescence (not actually in the movie, but I do like it).

Brandon Lee played the hero and died during the making of The Crow. Bruce Lee died young and so did his son.

mab said...

Stag,

Meanwhile, the carrion trade is alive and well!

It sure is. Airlines now charge ~ $30 per checked bag. However, a "carrion" is still free.

The arbitrage has been a sight to behold. To avoid additional fees, passengers have been stretching the limits of the overhead storage space. It's a levered trade as the carrions keep getting bigger and more numerous. You wouldn't believe some of the nonsense I witnessed on my last few flights!

Like all levered trades, it was doomed almost immediately. There are now more carrion claims than space.

Perhaps our biggest mistake was allowing people to leverage vanity.

watchtower said...

Yes, I am the dissenting voice on the poll.

Why?

Only man is smart enough to fool himself.

Stagflationary Mark said...

mab,

It sure is. Airlines now charge ~ $30 per checked bag. However, a "carrion" is still free.

That pun made me laugh out loud. I love spontaneous outbursts of laughter and that ranks with the best of them, lol.

Stagflationary Mark said...

watchtower,

You have done me a service.

1. A good poll must be at least somewhat controversial or it's just a waste of time.

2. I was starting to feel guilty. Dennis Kneale is a family man and should it really be a crime to be way too optimistic? If not for optimists, our economy would surely be in a death spiral.

3. Most importantly, I can't do any amusing charts of the poll data if everyone votes for the bird!! ;)

EconomicDisconnect said...

"Look at the birds up in the trees"
"We're not birds! We're a Jugband!"

EconomicDisconnect said...

Periodic table for superheroes:
http://tinyurl.com/2ayk8s3

Funny stuff.

Stagflationary Mark said...

GYSC,

A coded message from your periodic table...

51 of 57 73!

48: 51 of 57 61!!

49 57 until 10's 84!!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.