Sunday, April 1, 2012

The 21st Century CPI (Musical Tribute)


Click to enlarge.

This is consistent with what I have been seeing. For those who think the CPI is wildly off, please consider the independent data over at MIT's Billion Prices Project.

So hey, at least it isn't all bad news. Things could be worse.




I know what you may be thinking. The video doesn't go well with my blog's overall theme. In my defense, I am a daydream believer in the long-term illusion of prosperity, it is April Fool's Day, and if you listen closely to the song you will hear the following.

Oh, and our good time starts and ends
With a dollar one to spend
But how much baby do we really need?


D'oh! ;)

Source Data:
St. Louis Fed: CPI

3 comments:

Troy said...

no rise in middle-quintile wages (or debt take-on), no inflation.

just reallocation -- some prices go up, others go down, and other sales just don't happen at all

that's my thesis and I'm sticking to it : )

holy c###, this chart can't be right . . .

Stagflationary Mark said...

Troy,

You start posting more of those holy c### charts more often and you might just convince me to leave my bunker, lol.

In all seriousness, I never really was apocalyptic or hyperinflationary (or I wouldn't own so many I-Bonds and TIPS).

Some might look at my hoard and think that though. In this low rate environment, I just thought it was better than burying cash in the backyard. What's the harm?

Stagflationary Mark said...

AllanF,

If you are out there, the emails I tried to send you don't seem to be arriving. I'm getting barraged with "Mail Delivery System" messages.