Monday, April 30, 2012

The "Free Lunch" Weight Loss Plan v.011

I continue to climb 20 extra flights of stairs each and every day.


Click to enlarge.

The chart was flat this month.


Click to enlarge.

It has been my goal to be within the blue zone within the time frame of this chart and to do so with the least amount of effort possible. It's a long-term lazy person's approach.

I've never actually tracked my weight over this long of a time period. I therefore don't yet know how strong the seasonal effects are. All I really know is that I am more active in the summer and tend to eat differently when it is hot.

In theory, the seasonal effects should put me in tailwind mode for the next 6 months. The low point on the chart was hit around Halloween.

June is where the real action begins. That's when I'll finally start to see year over year results. That data should therefore be entirely free of seasonal effects. I suspect that the seasonal effects are strong, but probably not as strong as this chart implies. Some of the decline in the first few months could have easily been a subconscious desire to lose extra weight. In the past, the first few pounds always seemed the easiest to lose.

In any event, it is a permanent habit now.

335 days x 200 feet (20 flights) = 12.7 miles

It does add up. Although it is just a few minutes per day, I can feel it in my legs.

See Also:
The "Free Lunch" Weight Loss Plan v.000

2 comments:

Troy said...

192 to 189.5 here . . .

189.5 is both my last major transition (I intend to stop at 182) and the point where my BMI at least is officially not "overweight" (24.99878 according to Excel).

182 is BMI = 24.04

it's best to get into shape as you're doing it, as slow as possible. Intentional caloric deficit is unsustainable and does screw with one's metabolism, not in a good way.

Stagflationary Mark said...

Troy,

Congrats again!

On the one hand, I was hoping to see more stability in my weight by doing this.

On the other hand, if I can eventually get my weight down into the blue zone and also have it vary by no more than 8 pounds over the year then I would not complain.

196 +/- 4 pounds (depending on season of the year)

That would be far better than I've been doing over the past 15 years.

Some might reasonably argue that I could simply exercise more in the winter to compensate.

Realistically, that's probably never going to happen. There are days when I don't feel like doing anything in the winter and only force of habit is making me do it.

I will always do more and be willing to do more in the summer. That's just a fact of life (mine anyway).