Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Productivity Miracle of Nonstore Job Destruction (Musical Tribute)

The following chart shows monthly nonstore retail sales per nonstore retail employee.


Click to enlarge.

Talk about doing more with less! I made a purchase this week at Amazon.com. I did not speak to a retail salesperson. My computer talked directly to Amazon's computers.

Why does this matter? Jobs! The following is what the BLS said last year.

March 4, 2011
Retail Trade

Internet sales have not decreased the need for retail salespersons.

Who in their right mind believed that? This is what the BLS says now.

BLS: Retail Sales Workers: Job Outlook

However, employment in department stores has declined in recent years and will likely continue to be weak.

I would mention Eddie Lampert here but that's not my style! ;)

Many workers leave this occupation, which means there will be a large number of job openings.

I suggest a lucrative career in pig lipstick sales. The bull market has been alive and well for more than a decade.



See Also:
Our Pillars of Retail Strength

Source Data:
St. Louis Fed: All Employees: Retail Trade: Nonstore Retailers
U.S. Census: Monthly & Annual Retail Trade

2 comments:

fried said...

Been away for a while, and had to do some shopping with my mom. Stopped at JCPenny or JCP, as it now styles itself. Since I buy everything online, I was surprised to find myself in a store that is in the midst of recasting itself...and in a near-depression. Surprise, the place has been redesigned, and the stuff was good looking and beats Target on price. The frugal among us should hit this place as it keeps prices low to rebuild it's market share. Still had to hunt around for a sales person to take my money, but still, there are deals to be had. No careers though, and very few jobs.

Stagflationary Mark said...

fried,

June 13, 2012
Has J.C. Penney Become the Perfect Stock?

J.C. Penney expects "a prolonged decline in sales" and has already turned former profits into quarterly losses.

Apparently the headline was just a teaser. Sigh.

J.C. Penney isn't the perfect stock...