Thursday, September 25, 2008

Hold-to-Maturity = Mark-to-Myth?

The big bailout is unlikely to work

LONDON: The U.S. "hold-to-maturity" bailout plan is really just the new "mark-to-myth," and even its heroic proportions are not likely to paper over solvency problems in the banking system.

I've been thinking about this idea for a few days and how it applies to my own personal finances. I believe I have a new appreciation for what the banking system is going through.

As you may recall, I participated in the 20-Year TIPS (treasury inflation protected securities) auction in January. For the record, I put roughly 10% of my overall net worth in it. The yield ended up being
1.81% (above reported CPI inflation).

The yield today on the 20-Year TIPS is
2.42%.

If I was forced to sell my 20-Year TIPS today I'd experience a loss of roughly 12% (0.61% times 19 1/2 years). Needless to say, I'm glad nobody is forcing me to sell. It gives me some small feeling of what the investment banks must be going through though as they are forced to sell. I'm in reasonably safe government backed TIPS. Just imagine what it would be like if it was subprime mortgage debt instead.

What does it really mean to me though? How much worse off will I be over the next 19 1/2 years? I know this might seem hard to believe, but I'll actually be somewhat better off. Here is my reasoning.

First, I'll still be earning 1.81% over reported inflation (technically 1.75% since I bought at a discount as part of the auction process). That doesn't change. In 19 1/2 years I'll be getting my inflation adjusted principal back. That doesn't change either. Therefore it is very hard to say that I could be any worse off in the long-term.

Second, the market is saying that inflation isn't going to be as big of a problem as I feared. That means that it is less likely I'll be earning 10% or more per year (say 8% inflation with 2% real yield) and being fully taxed on that 10%. That actually helps me. I may have overpaid for the inflation protection, but under no circumstances was I ever rooting for extra inflation. All it could do is hurt me (it would just hurt me less than people without inflation protection). I was also never rooting for a complete stock market and financial institution collapse. How could that possibly help me long-term? No, I'd be better off in the long run if the prosperity machine continued to fire on all cylinders (or at least appears to be firing on all cylinders). I might not do as well as my risk-taking neighbors by taking the safer path, but I'd still be doing okay.

Third, in 19 1/2 years I'll need to reinvest. Should these real yields hold up I'll be one happy camper at that point. That's a very good thing. My worst fear is that real yields turn negative, inflation skyrockets higher, and I'm left with no safe way to protect my nest egg without resorting to hoarding even more hard assets. Currently, the markets are saying my worst fear will not come to pass.

Fourth, I have more TIPS maturing soon (the next several years). It is in my best "interests" to root for higher real yields as I reinvest that money back into more TIPS.

Yet, here I am with a 12% loss on paper. It is a real loss and I'm certainly not trying to argue that it isn't, but it is simply an opportunity cost loss. The odds of depleting my nest egg have not gone up. Sure, had I waited I would have done better. That being said, in 19 1/2 years, based on what the markets are currently telling me (lower inflation going forward), I will still be doing better than I originally expected though. Ideally, at least as it applies to me, I'd be rooting for zero percent inflation and be getting paid a mere 1.81%. My taxes would be next to nothing. So how could I complain? The market is telling me that I'm somewhat getting my wish (just wish I could believe the market, it can tend to get very confused from time to time).

In summary, I have a 12% real loss, but it is the kind of real loss that lets me sleep better. I continue to "hold-to-maturity" and somewhat sigh in relief. It honestly doesn't concern me much what the market is willing to pay for what I own. I never intend to sell it, nor is it likely that I'll be forced to sell it. I guess that's what separates my risk from that of an investment bank.

This is the exact same mindset I have towards my toilet paper hoard. I have no doubts that the market would not pay me full price for it either (on eBay for instance). That also doesn't bother me though. I never intend to sell it either. Go figure. Further, if the market determines that I overpaid for my toilet paper hoard at some point in the future that's just fine too. It will simply be another opporunity cost loss. In fact, I'd root for it too. First, someday in the distant future I'll no doubt NEED to buy more. I will certainly not complain if it ends up being even cheaper. Second, even cheaper toilet paper means that hyperinflation did not wipe out my entire nest egg.

So is "hold-to-maturity" a "mark-to-myth"? As it relates to my personal finances, I don't see the myth in my reasoning. Perhaps there's some glimmer of hope that the same could be said of the government's plan. Oh my, I said something optimistic again. I better not make a habit of this. I think that's the second time I've done it since starting this blog, lol.

If, and this is a big if, the pricing in the market has hit an illiquid wall and the government's intent is to merely unclog the system, I do think there is some hope. Unfortunately, that's a reasonably big if. There are SO many problems and this is but one of them. For example, should the entire global economy begin to bounce back and billions of workers world wide think driving cars is in their future while simultaneously helping us to exponentially grow our trade deficit, well, I'll no doubt be back to my old pessimistic (realistic and stagflationistic?) self in no time. Of that I assure you.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stag,

I never intend to sell it, nor is it likely that I'll be forced to sell it. I guess that's what separates my risk from that of an investment bank.

Your TIPS are a REAL investment. You will receive your money back with interest above inflation. Your success is not dependent upon a fool paying more than you did.

That said, a big difference between you and a bank is cost of capital. Even if a bank could hold to maturity, the investment is only profitable if it returns more than the cost of the capital (including inflation) used to make the investment. Your cost of capital is only opportunity cost, if there even is any. Your investment is not made with borrowed money. Big difference.

My biggest problem with the bailout is that it won't allow what I feel is a necessary adjustment. The current interest burden on our economy is just too big. The free market is trying to correct that. Can we really be "successful" thwarting the free market? If so, we should have more price fixing.

Good deal for wall street. Bad deal for main street.

Stagflationary Mark said...

MAB,

Your investment is not made with borrowed money. Big difference.

Yeah, I'd not be liking the mark-to-market much if I had used 30-1 leverage. I'm fairly sure I would have been forced to sell at some point. Just a hunch.

Bernanke: mark-to-market accounting challenging
Apr 10, 2008
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSWBT00874820080410

Too challenging it seems.

On balance, he said mark-to-market accounting has been a positive influence for investors, but valuations should be determined during normally functioning, stable markets, not times when assets are illiquid.

You know, like when the entire banking industry seizes up and all our hopes and dreams rely on Congress to fix it.

In other news, it seems the year-end recovery has been permanently poned.

Jack Welch says U.S. faces "deep downturn"
http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE48N74H20080924

"I now believe we are in for one hell of a deep downturn," Welch told the World Business Forum in New York on Wednesday, adding that the first quarter of 2009 will likely be "brutal."

Until recently, Welch said, he had believed the U.S. economy could avoid recession, but he has changed his mind.

"I am now caving," he said. "Get ready for real tough times. They're coming. There is no credit available."


Then there's Ben Stein.

Everything You Wanted to Know About the Credit Crisis But Were Afraid to Ask
http://finance.yahoo.com/expert/article/yourlife/109609

The headlines scream doom. There are endless references to the economic situation being "the worst since The Great Depression." Immense names in finance have collapsed and sunk beneath the waves of the financial crisis. Please allow me to try to explain a bit of what's going on.

...

This is the whirlpool sucking down finance.

Now, we are about to have a similar phenomenon happen with commercial mortgage debt, debt from mergers and acquisitions, credit card debt, and car loan debt. Many trillions of dollars in Credit Default Swaps have been sold on all of this, and the prices of all of them have fallen and can be made to fall more.

As I said, the pit of loss is bottomless. Warren Buffett, the smartest man of all time in the world of finance, has called financial derivatives - of which Credit Default Swaps are a prime example - "weapons of financial mass destruction." And so they are. As with the hydrogen bomb, no one thought they would ever be used to end the world. But unless someone figures a way out - and maybe the new RTC is and maybe it isn't - we are in real peril. This should never have happened. Now that it did happen, should the taxpayer pay to make the billionaire speculators whole on their bets? What the heck is to be done?


They've both been so bullish. They are now clearly capitulating. There's at least some optimism in me now, but not nearly enough to risk capital chasing the dream. For one thing, things looked REALLY bad in 1974 too. Things got worse.

Anonymous said...

They've both been so bullish. They are now clearly capitulating. There's at least some optimism in me now, but not nearly enough to risk capital chasing the dream.

Welch & Stein are both part of the system. Their prosperity came from the system. Their self esteem was based on the prosperity of the system. A system they undoubtedly believed they had helped to build. It's no wonder that they couldn't see how dysfunctional the system had become.

Real estate losses are so much more complicated than dot.com losses. Contracts, leverage, up-rooting of families, etc. Really sad. Unproductive and difficult to unwind too.

I was lucky. I've lived in the white collar AND blue collar worlds simultaneously for decades. I think that is why I was so much more sceptical of the credit bubble than most. When both white & blue collar folks are embracing enormous debts in an attempt to get rich, it's time to duck & cover. We can't all be big borrowers.

Anyway, I am so glad to be mostly on the sidelines for this mess. I don't think it's over. No way.

I still see too much hope.

Anonymous said...

The problem for the banks is leverage Mark the assets only have to lose five or six percent and they are insolvent. Some of these assets are selling for less the fair value but some of this crap isn't worth your toilet paper hoard. That the difference and the problem they are using borrowed money and your not. But you knew that right?
Kevin

Anonymous said...

Hello Houston, Houston hello, we have a problem Houston, do you read?
The dream world of complex finance floats along on PR media releases and of course TRUST, which means the folks at the top pray each day that everybody believes in the dream. The American dream has become the Asia dream the Europe dream, the Russia dream and so on.
The two car, one boat,one ATV, one Hog motorcycle, yearly exotic vacations, retire early, Havard for all and of course a 4 bedroom new home 100 miles from work life style is proving to be a tough life after all.

Anonymous said...

anon:9.21

Leverage has been the key to a surging GDP while the Federal spending along with the trade balance go deep red. Ever wonder how we could wage two wars, give tax breaks to the wealthy run up huge trade deficits and still talk about growth? The ability to create massive credit with little capital reserve has been the magic and the gov't rather then trying to rein in this issue enjoyed the ride. The economy will shrink as this leverage is withdrawn from the credit markets and the CDS paper flying around is used to keep fires warm around the world.
Future growth will require real capital which comes from something other then black box trading.

Stagflationary Mark said...

MAB,

I was lucky. I've lived in the white collar AND blue collar worlds simultaneously for decades.

It certainly didn't hurt me to grow up in a small farming community of just 800. The environment seemingly taught me some very controversial things though. For example...

If I have a dollar then I can spend a dollar.

If I save a dollar then I will have a dollar I can spend later.

I've changed my mindset on that second one a bit in recent years.

If I save a dollar then I might only have 95 cents I can spend later. That's still better than spending the dollar now and having nothing I can spend later though, especially if I want to buy food in the future.

Stagflationary Mark said...

Kevin,

Some of these assets are selling for less the fair value but some of this crap isn't worth your toilet paper hoard.

Don't go comparing my toilet paper hoard to crap. Toilet paper is the solution, not the problem! ;)

Stagflationary Mark said...

Anonymous,

Hello Houston, Houston hello, we have a problem Houston, do you read?

Houston is tempoarily unavailable. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you. Please call again later. Should this be an actual emergency, please stay on the line and we will answer your call in the order received. Based on incoming call volume, the expected wait time is 17 days, 4 hours, and 32 minutes.

Cut to Barry Manilow's Copacabana muzak.

Houston-area home sales fall for 12th consecutive month
http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2008/09/22/daily26.html

He added that the federal government’s bailout plan for the financial markets should help boost consumer confidence, but the devastating effects of Hurricane Ike have left many throughout the area struggling to rebuild their homes and lives, which may mean a further sales slowdown.

Stagflationary Mark said...

Anonymous,

Ever wonder how we could wage two wars, give tax breaks to the wealthy run up huge trade deficits and still talk about growth?

I think I saw this on a late night infomercial. The product sells for $19.99, plus shipping and handling. No, wait. My bad. That's another product entirely. I was a bit confused because it has a very similar name and also holds 21 times its weight in liquidity.

ShamWow!
https://www.shamwow.com/flare/next

The ability to create massive credit with little capital reserve has been the magic...

It's the lesser known and much more powerful version of Advanced Dungeon & Dragons' Bigby's Interposing Hand spell.

Bernanke's Intervening Full Court Monetary Body Press

Anonymous said...

Stag,

http://www.cfo.com/article.cfm/11398629/1/c_2984321?f=related

It appears banks begged for the authority to use mark-to-mark accounting when valuations were high. Selective bonus harvesting - with leverage no less.

What a sham. The public knows something is deeply wrong - just too many layers to the onion.

The greatest story never told.

Anonymous said...

Stag,

http://www.cfo.com/article.cfm/11398629/1/c_2984321?f=related

It appears banks begged for the authority to use mark-to-mark accounting when valuations were high. Selective bonus harvesting - with leverage no less.

What a sham. The public knows something is deeply wrong - just too many layers to the onion.

The greatest story never told.

Anonymous said...

Stag,

http://www.cfo.com/article.cfm/11398629/1/c_2984321?f=related

It appears banks begged for the authority to use mark-to-market accounting when valuations were high. Selective bonus harvesting - with leverage no less.

What a sham. The public knows something is deeply wrong - just too many layers to the onion.

The greatest story never told.

Stagflationary Mark said...

MAB,

From your link...

"Atmosphere of Fear"

Sounds like an Alan Greenspan book idea. I'm certainly becoming a believer in the Age of Turbulence.

Maybe I shouldn't judge a book by its title. I haven't actually read Greenspan's book. Somehow paying him to tell me how he's helped ruin my financial security doesn't quite seem right. Maybe that's just me though. That being said, I might buy a book from Bernanke. That's assuming he's writing The Great Moderation and I'm in the mood for a good laugh.