Monday, September 21, 2009

The Sarcasm Report v.32

Don’t Go Overboard With Inflation Protection

TIPS. You may be familiar with Treasury Inflation Protected Securities (TIPS), and they’re a very good long term inflation hedge.

Based on the article's headline, I am VERY impressed that he's getting off to such a great start. I expected to be heckling and/or using sarcasm by now. Have patience though. I assure you that it is coming. Hahaha!

But the problem with TIPS today is they don’t produce much income for you to live on.

Okay. The logic is starting to degrade now. TIPS are a capital preservation strategy. Nobody should expect TIPS to actually make them richer. I know this is a wacky theory, but I actually intend to use all of my savings to fuel my retirement. I expect to die relatively broke. I've just never been a very big fan of having my cake and eating it too.

That said, the "problem" he mentions surely doesn't apply to other investments. Investors have made a killing in the stock market over the last decade. Treasury Bills are yielding an amazing 0.1% right now. Sign me up. I'm still kicking myself for not buying houses in 2005 so that I could generate income through renting them out. Yeah, right!


So if you load up on TIPS and we don’t get high inflation, or it takes years for inflation to emerge, you may be forced to spend more of your principal to pay the bills.

There you have it. Complete economic logic degradation. The word asinine comes to mind.

There is ABSOLUTELY no circumstance when inflation can actually help those of us who buy TIPS and hold until maturity. The higher inflation goes, the more we'll pay in taxes and the lower our after tax return becomes. It's that simple. Although holders of TIPS have some inflation protection, we should NEVER pray for higher inflation. Period.

Further, higher inflation makes it even worse than that. With TIPS, we get taxed on the inflation adjustments each and every year but we do not even get paid the inflation adjustments until the bonds mature. In other words, the higher the inflation, the worse our short-term cash flow situation becomes. Should inflation go high enough, all interest payments would be used solely to pay the taxes. Further, the taxes could at some point even exceed the money we are paid. We could therefore actually go cash flow negative. Not only would we not have the income to live, but we'd have to find other income just to pay the taxes on the TIPS.

So let's sum this up. Higher inflation does two things to holders of TIPS.

The higher the inflation rate becomes, the more taxes we'll have to pay on the inflationary gains. This will reduce our inflation adjusted after tax return. Ouch!

The higher the inflation rate becomes, the worse our cash flow situation becomes. We'll be spending more of the interest we do receive simply to pay the taxes. Ouch!

So if you load up on TIPS and we don’t get high inflation...

I would be thanking my lucky stars!

Greenspan said in 1966 that there is no safe store of value in a welfare state. Clearly there is no safe store of value in a main stream media state either. As proof, he started with the premise that TIPS are a "very good long term inflation hedge" and then proceeded to use incorrect logic to say why we shouldn't own them. What does he want us to own instead?

Flexibility. As long as you keep your fixed income holdings flexible, you should be able to respond to inflation by eventually buying bonds that provide higher income, while still earning more income today.

Never mind that fixed income investing ruined investors in the 1970s. Those who take him up on it will indeed get higher income now. Spend all of it. Don't worry about inflation. Your nest egg's purchasing power will last a full 10 decades. Take that trip to Europe you always wanted. Enjoy!

Speaking of "10 decades", do yourself a huge favor. Watch the first scene from the Newlywed Game (both her answer and his answer).



In my opinion, our economy is packed with dumb luck. We can't help but win long-term.

4 comments:

mab said...

Stag,

Almost all financial news and advice is propaganda. Buy and hold. Stocks for the long run. It's a new era. The fed. Stocks outperform bonds. House prices never go down. All bullsh%t. Calling it data mining would be generous. It's propaganda.

Do you remember the year 2000 when CONgress was voting to raise the national debt ceiling while at the same time President Clinton was declaring budget SURPLUSES! It gets even better when you CONsider that in the year 2000, Greenspan was forecasting the retirement of ALL Federal Government debt!

People say I'm cynical and negative. Decorum prevents me from pointing out the obvious, not to mention the thought police. Besides, you can't debate the blind faithful.

Two years ago, neighbors (Ivy League grads) had me over for a Christmas party. During some light group conversation, they asked me why they hadn't seen me at church lately (I'm Catholic). When I informed them that I hadn't been going, they openly expressed disdain and publicly lectured me for about 10 minutes. Merry Christmas to you too. And God bless.

Stagflationary Mark said...

mab,

"Calling it data mining would be generous."

http://www.data-miners.com/

"Businesses generate data about their customers, their products, and their operations every time a transaction is recorded in a database. This data provides a key competitive asset—something available to your business that no one else has access to. How can this asset be put to maximum advantage? Our answer is data mining."

The results of our last mining expedition currently shows that your business is f*****d. ;)

"People say I'm cynical and negative."

Here's a test for you to see if it is accurate.

Did the crash of the DJIA to 6600 surprise you?

It surprised me. Even as a bear, I didn't think it would actually drop that far. I wasn't cynical enough. I was too positive. I was too optimistic.

MaxedOutMama said...

Mark - the single funniest blog post I have ever seen, and since I read Iowahawk, the bar was high.

Let's just say that "asinine" was a good categorization.

The video was beyond great.

Stagflationary Mark said...

MOM,

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I sure did. In fact, after first seeing that video I literally ran into the family room and practically forced my girlfriend to watch it. Hahaha!