Tuesday, August 31, 2021

VPU Performance v.008


Months Elapsed: 8
Total Growth: 12.80%
Annualized Growth Rate: 19.81%
Distribution Yield (TTM): 2.80%

This isn't a sustainable growth rate. There is risk here, especially if inflation isn't transitory and yields don't continue to decay over the long-term. That said, I'm still comfortable holding it.

I did sell about half of my VPU position this month to buy BTI, MO, PM, and VZ. As a group, I'm up 0.66% on those. Would be doing better if I had not overweighted BTI and VZ. No plans to change course though. Feel good about the allocation.

And lastly, also bought platinum Eagles this month. On the one hand, it would cost 3.27% extra to buy them now. On the other hand, I would lose 3.67% if I sold them now. Still fighting the ~7% round trip spread. That was a tough long-term call. Could have bought a platinum fund that charges 0.5% per year instead. I therefore need to hold at least 14 years to make holding the coins the better choice. As an added bonus, holding platinum coins in one's hand beats holding a paper IOU, especially if there comes a time when many paper IOUs become worthless.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When an ETF becomes available that tracks the coming humanitarian crisis in the US you'll have a sure thing investment with a sustainable long term growth rate.

Stagflationary Mark said...

Sorry I took so long approving this one. Somehow fell through the cracks, not unlike those experiencing Seattle’s growing homelessness crisis firsthand, ironically.