Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Exponential Trend Failure of the Day

The following chart shows the number of Americans who are not on food stamps.


Click to enlarge.

Fail.

If a growing population is supposedly the solution to all of our problems then perhaps we should start creating more high paying jobs. I think it is going to be an extremely difficult task.

If one considers rapidly increasing automation and an increasingly global competitive environment, I am not at all confident that what worked in the past will extrapolate well into the future.

Source Data:
USDA: Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
St. Louis Fed: Population

2 comments:

Troy said...

Brutal chart.

Like you, I shop at a Winco, and every time I do I see the SNAP debit card being used by someone in line.

Stagflationary Mark said...

There are SNAP signs at the checkouts at my local Sam's Club. I shop as if I am a SNAP participant. Rice doesn't taste any better in a small box than it does in a large bag.

I stumbled upon the following site recently. It has good information about how long foods are safe to eat.

StillTasty