Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Costco vs. The Deflationist

I went to Costco today. The parking lot was fairly packed an hour before closing time on a weekday no less. It seems I was not alone.

There was no basmati rice, again. There was a sign over the brown rice this time that said there was a five bag limit. Costco's rice shortage has clearly reached the Seattle area.

It would seem to me that hoarding starts at the bottom and works its way up. Rice is at the very bottom. Bedpans would likely be the very top.

August 31, 2002

Testing the Deflationist

Here is my favorite story that illustrates this. Before he died, I knew Dr. Norbert Einstein. He was Albert's cousin. He was a banker. He told me that only late in the German inflation did his Aunt Rosa catch on to what was happening to the value of money. She then wanted to get into goods and out of money. But the truly marketable goods were gone. They were being hoarded. All she found was a large inventory of bedpans. She bought them in late 1923. Then came the currency reform of December, 1923. It produced the recession of 1924. There was Aunt Rosa, figuratively sitting on top of a pile of bedpans.

We've been testing the deflationist for 5 1/2 years so far (since the article was written) and all we've managed to get out of him/her was $130 oil. That being said, it is possible that the hoarding of rice was the top of the cycle. See the parabolic chart below that's clearly breaking down.

Weekly Rice Chart

I have no idea where inflation is going to head in the short-term (hence my neutral short-term inflationary mood as seen in the upper left corner), but I'm sticking to my long-term stagflationary outlook just the same (as it relates to falling real yields but not necessarily parabolically rising commodity prices). I've based my outlook on one simple (Keep It Simple Stupid) idea.

It will be increasingly difficult to make money off of money in the future.

That's it. That's my primary prediction. I'm not a big believer in "sure things" as some of you already know, but the odds do/did seem heavily tilted in my prediction's favor. I started this blog just a few days after the credit crisis I might add. It is very difficult to make money off of money when there is a concern you'll lose it all. Safe really is a happy word you know.

September 4, 2007

"Safe" is a happy word

I'm told that we'll bounce back later this year and things will be fine again. I'm firmly in the once bitten, twice shy economic theory camp though. I can't speak for others, but I've been twice shy since the economic meltdown of 2000. I would even go so far to say that we're still in it. Some are actively trying to convert an Illusion of Prosperity into something more tangible. Rice comes to mind.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stag,

It will be increasingly difficult to make money off of money in the future.

That's the big picture in my view.

I'll offer a likely corollary: It will be increasingly EASY to lose money off of money in the future.

It's time to pay for the free lunches.

Anonymous said...

Stag,

Another thought. The majority still believe in making money from money. The popular belief is that it just takes a change in the investment mix. Entrenched attitudes take a long time to turn.

A new theme I keep hearing is that the fed can't control commodity based inflation as it is demand based. Demand aside, I agree the fed can't control the eventual inflation. We allowed money creation to exceed output for way too long. You can't unring a bell.

Stagflationary Mark said...

MAB,

That's the big picture in my view.

In the late 1990s I was a believer that dotcom stocks were in a bubble (the big picture). I was 80% in the stock market anyway. I "hoped" that the fallout (should there be a crash) would be contained (and I didn't think market timing was a good idea to protect myself). It was clearly a false hope. Although I recovered it would have been a lot easier on my digestive system to have sought safety before the storm.

I was buying seemingly healthy trees (non-dotcom stocks) during a forest fire (dotcom bubble). Once I saw how that worked out using hindsight, I decided I wouldn't do that again. Once bitten, twice shy.

The big picture, for right or wrong, is now the most important thing to me. That doesn't mean that I'm right about the big picture, but my brain no longer ignores my gut. My gut thinks things are amiss again. The debt bubble combined with Deflation: Making Sure "It" Doesn't Happen Here speeches scare me far more than any dotcom bubble could.

The majority still believe in making money from money. The popular belief is that it just takes a change in the investment mix.

Yeah, Cramer likes to say there's always a bull market in something. I agree. The next bull market could very well be in government inflation, taxes, and protectionism. Not sure how one makes money off of money in that environment though. It seems so 1970s.

Entrenched attitudes take a long time to turn.

About the only paper assets that are green today are the "wildly overpriced" (to quote the non-believers) TIPS (all durations). Every stock in the Dow is down. So are all the non-inflation protected treasury notes and bonds (all durations). This is a rare event. Today's flight to safety did not choose nominal treasury notes and bonds.

http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/rates/index.html

We allowed money creation to exceed output for way too long. You can't unring a bell.

Isn't that the truth. About all that can be hoped for is that China has extreme excess bell manufacturing capacity (which would put a lid on bell prices and would eventually lead to a commodity bubble crash). I wouldn't rule it out. We did just before OUR Great Depression. We were the manufacturing juggernaut then of course and nothing could stop us (in economic theory, but clearly not in economic practice).

Teri said...

Let me recommend that you start working towards a year's food storage. Seriously. Given how fast food prices are going up, it will easily pay for itself. It's also great for those worried about becoming unemployed.

Stagflationary Mark said...

Teri,

Our pantry has become the Apocalypse Pantry, as a self-deprecating joke to our friends. Some are starting their own pantries these days though.

We don't have a year's food (there isn't much more room), but we've got quite a bit.