Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Long-Term Prosperity Wave



The chart shows the Consumer Price Index: All Items divided by the Producer Price Index: All Commodities.

As seen in the chart, the 1910s (World War I), 1930s (The Great Depression), 1940s (World War II), 1970s (Oil Crisis), and 2000s (The Great Recession) all shared something in common.

If you are spending more and more of your time thinking about commodities, debt, and wars (currency, trade, and/or military), then you are probably spending less and less of your time thinking about actual prosperity.


See Also:
Trend Line Disclaimer

Source Data:
St. Louis Fed: PPI: All Commodities
St. Louis Fed: CPI: All Items

6 comments:

Stagflationary Mark said...

jus me,

I finally answered your questions today from an earlier post. Sorry it took so long.

General Knoxx keeps pulling me in and I've been using the Playstation to check in (but not my computer with the email notifications).

The Secret Armory of General Knoxx

EconomicDisconnect said...

Well I cannot list the top two things I think about (family site and all) but the third is usually NFL football, followed by fishing, grilling, my yard, etc. Then I get to the market stuff. I do not think I am unique in this!

We need a "Prosperity Czar" and I hereby nominate Mark!

Stagflationary Mark said...

GYSC,

There are 15 million unemployed. Why not just nominate me to be the Scapegoat Czar while you are at it, lol. ;)

EconomicDisconnect said...

Would you take the job? HA!

Stagflationary Mark said...

GYSC,

I am responsible for the Illusion of Prosperity.

Hmmm. Maybe I do have what it takes to be the Scapegoat Czar.

EconomicDisconnect said...

I am sure you could "invent" a way to make it work, maybe MMORPG?