Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Sarcasm Report v.84

Looking for Cheaper Gasoline, Without the Drive

Years ago, I stopped driving around in search of better gasoline prices because the treks cost more money in wasted gas than they were worth.

Years from now he might even realize that the most expensive part of vehicle ownership is not the money spent on gasoline.

Car maintenance is something that should not be ignored. It is easy to spend 1 cent per mile just on the tires alone (assuming $400 tires with 40,000 miles of life).

There's also the increased risk that comes with driving more. There were 6.5 million auto accidents in this country in 2005 at a cost of $230 billion. That was roughly $1,150 per registered driver. I won't mention the death every 12 minutes and disabling injuries every 14 seconds statistics. Oops. I did.

The IRS allows businesses to deduct 50 cents per mile. They do not do it out of the goodness of their hearts. That's not even counting what a person's time is worth as they drive out of their way to find "cheaper" gasoline.

Thankfully, I did a little math before heading out.

Indeed. Very little math. None of this was factored in. Only the price of gasoline was deemed worthy for consideration.



The best journalists in the world work for The Times and there's no debating that.

That sure is a bummer. I love a good debate! ;)

5 comments:

EconomicDisconnect said...

Mark,
would love your take on this angle with Groupon:
http://tinyurl.com/4bkk24j
In the comments I argue it is highly deflationary but Mr. Drogen disagrees. I am hard pressed to see it his way.

Charles Kiting said...

Lol

I have a Jeep and a Prius. I will drive to a cheaper gas station (8 miles, in the next county) to fill up the Prius, I will go to the cheapest gas station within 2 miles of my house to fill up the Jeep.

(My free time isn't worth anything.)

Stagflationary Mark said...

GYSC,

I am 100% entirely in your camp! Of course it is deflationary.

I can even off you some proof if you wish to share it.

My girlfriend signed me up for LivingSocial. Ack. I gave her a really hard time about it. She even used my personal email address! Now I get spammed with daily offers.

However, they recently offered me a $20 Amazon.com gift card for just $10. No joke!

How much more deflationary can it get? Spend $10 to get $20? And what exactly is in it for Amazon.com? Do they need to get the word out? Has nobody heard of Amazon.com yet? Good grief!

Stagflationary Mark said...

Charles Kiting,

Good God man! Is that 8 miles round trip or each way? I won't even go to Costco more than once a month because it is 10 miles away, and I practically live for that!

You are a "glutton" for Prius punishment!

At least tell me that you really enjoy the trip. Throw me a bone here. Hahaha! :)

EconomicDisconnect said...

I have a post up covering that angle, thanks for the input. How is this not deflationary????

I have a good one for the post above, will comment there.