Friday, August 2, 2013

Retail Trade Employees per Capita

The latest employment report is out. I see that 23% of the jobs added over the last three months were in retail trade. Wow, is that really where we can expect the jobs of the future to be? The long-term trend in the following chart would argue otherwise.


Click to enlarge.

I'm not suggesting that I can use 2nd order polynomials to accurately predict the future. That said, this is certainly a trend I would not want to bet against. For what it is worth, those red diamonds made lousy entry points for stock market investors.

I'm told that the blue diamond is an excellent entry point though, repeatedly, on CNBC. Please forgive me if I choose to pass.

This is not investment advice.

Source Data:
St. Louis Fed: All Employees: Retail Trade
St. Louis Fed: Population

2 comments:

TJandTheBear said...

Still waiting for the IOP series of ETFs. A 3x inverse against that RTEpC would be VERY attractive. :-)

Stagflationary Mark said...

TJandTheBear,

If only we knew someone that could entice investors into taking the other side of the trade.

*shrug shoulders*