Thursday, March 12, 2015

How Much Money Do You Need to Retire?

March 12, 2015
Retirement's magic number? $2.5M a good start

According to a new Legg Mason survey, the new magic number is $2.5 million.

That's right. 48 years worth of real median household income is a good start but you'll probably "need" a full century to be safe. And greedy. Must not forget the greedy.

There's nothing more pathetic, demeaning, and outright embarrassing than being forced to eat dehydrated caviar out of a Ziplock bag. What would the neighbors say? Don't let it happen to you.

4 comments:

mab said...

I forced myself to watch the video. These so called "experts" are so wrong on so many fronts it's unbelievable.

Social security going broke??? 7% returns? 2.5 million? WTF!

That said, the comments showed a much more grounded understanding.

Stagflationary Mark said...

mab,

You are once again a braver man than me. Taking one for the team! Throwing yourself on the economic hand grenade! We all owe you a debt of gratitude!

7% returns, eh? It's as bad as I thought. Let me guess. What can't happen over the long-term with sub 3% long-term treasury bonds will more than likely be made up with aggressive risk taking on ruskier assets?

7% returns for all eternity! There's no stopping us! Or bust.

In all seriousness, I really didn't watch the video. The premise seemed too ridiculous. I hope it offered at least some entertainment value.

There I go hoping in the face of overwhelmingly poor odds again. See? I really am an optimist, lol. Sigh.

Karlo said...

Whenever I see this sort of thing, I'm once more struck by how out of touch the 0.1% are.

Stagflationary Mark said...

Karlo,

Yeah, that's a good summary of what I was feeling. Out of touch indeed.