Sunday, May 31, 2020

Infectious Words

August 12, 2015
Illusion of Prosperity: The More I Listen to Donald Trump...

I can't speak for others, but the more I listen to Donald Trump the more I realize just how infectious his words are.

And when I say infectious, I don't mean irresistible and compelling in a rapidly spreading influence over me sort of way.

I mean his words give me nausea and fatigue, in a rapidly spreading influenza into me sort of way.


If only it was just influenza. Not only is the USA currently the world leader in Covid-19 deaths by a very wide margin, but we also have unemployment at historical levels, a massive increase in our national debt, and justifiable national civil unrest possibly not seen since the 1960s. Making America Great Again? Seriously?

If Trump intended “when the looting starts, the shooting starts” to ease tensions and de-escalate the civil disorder, I’d say that his strategy has failed miserably. Of course, that’s not what he probably intended his words to do. As always, I strongly suspect that he intended his words to be infectious.

Let that sink in. Sigh.

Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing. - John Stuart Mill, 1867

2 comments:

Fred said...

"I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it.

Suppose any party, in addition to whatever share it may possess of the ability of the community, has nearly the whole of its stupidity, that party must, by the law of its constitution, be the stupidest party; and I do not see why honorable gentlemen should see that position as at all offensive to them, for it ensures their being always an extremely powerful party . . . There is so much dense, solid force in sheer stupidity, that any body of able men with that force pressing behind them may ensure victory in many a struggle, and many a victory the Conservative party has gained through that power."

-- John Stuart Mill

Stagflationary Mark said...

Your John Stuart Mill quote is scarier than my John Stuart Mill quote. Sigh.