Saturday, January 2, 2021

Charting VPU

 


This chart shows the adjusted close (adjusted for dividends and stock splits) of VPU since the depths of the Great Recession. It is plotted on a log scale so that constant exponential growth will appear as a straight line. I have added a trend channel in red for your consideration.

I offer no predictions on where this fund goes from here. I’m simply offering a glimpse of history. As they say, past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. I think that would be especially true in this case.

My expectations remain low. I do not expect VPU to permanently stay in the channel. However, it is my hope that this fund will outperform the 1.64% 30-year treasury bond if held the full 30 years, and I intend to personally test the theory to its ultimate conclusion.

The ability to easily and safely make money off of money continues to become both more difficult and less safe. Unfortunately, this is a trend that I do not see improving within my lifetime.

The source data for this chart can be found at Yahoo Finance.

No comments: