Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Nail Salon to Electric Power Generation Employment Ratio (Musical Tribute)

First, here's a quick recap of nail salon employment.

November 5, 2014
Joke: How Many Nail Salons Does It Take to Fill a Strip Mall?


Click to enlarge.

What an impressive growth industry!

Next, let's look at electric power generation employment.


Click to enlarge.

Some would look at this and think only bad things. Not me! I'm pretty sure it was a productivity "miracle" that caused the decaying exponential trend to fail! Aging equipment (see below) is no doubt making many of these jobs obsolete! It's just a coincidence that the "miracle" happened during the Great Recession!

I mean, that's my theory anyway. I'm doing everything I can to remain optimistic! Your theory may be different of course. Perhaps you do not believe "the existing world is the best of all possible worlds" (the very definition of optimism). Perhaps you enjoy a more realistic view of life. Well, whatever!

We now have all the information required to generate the chart for this post's teaser headline.


Click to enlarge.

Has the future ever looked "brighter" for nail salon employment? Let me put this another way. If you are the proud new owner of a nail salon facing increasingly intense competition, then for the love of all that is holy, please make sure you have backup lighting!

The future's so bright, you gotta think twice before closing the shades!

ASCE: 2013 Report Card for America's Infrastructure

Aging equipment has resulted in an increasing number of intermittent power disruptions, as well as vulnerability to cyber attacks. Significant power outages have risen from 76 in 2007 to 307 in 2011. Many transmission and distribution system outages have been attributed to system operations failures, although weather-related events have been the main cause of major electrical outages in the United States in the years 2007 to 2012.

Since I am making every effort to remain optimistic, I won't point out that the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) gave our energy infrastructure a grade of D+. Oops. My bad.

Scorpions: Blackout


I realize I missed a day
But I'm too wrecked to care anyway

Long-term prosperity, baby. That's what I'm talking about!

Source Data:
BLS: CES Databases

No comments: