Sunday, December 2, 2007

How Do You Get to Stagflation?

You don't go to sleep one day while everything is fine, then wake up the next day and suddenly exclaim stagflation. Right? In theory, if stagflation truly was in our future, you'd slowly slip into stagflation and barely realize what is happening.

So what's on the breakfast menu today? Looks like Rooty Tooty Fresh 'N Fruity is popular, from the IHOP(E) menu.

Preparing for 'stagflation-lite'
"The idea that if growth were to fall to 1.8 per cent, for the sake of argument, and inflation to rise to 2.9 per cent it could be called stagflation would be a bizarre use of the term."

Stagflationary Mark is a bizarre name, I'll give him that. I'll most likely change it in the morning.

Good night, Westley. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning. - Dread Pirate Roberts, Princess Bride, 1987

He never did end up killing Westley in the morning though, nor do I ever seem to change my name. Go figure.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stagflation. Hmmn. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. Also, instead of worrying about ROI, ROE & RMBS perhaps we should be worrying about ROUS's (rodents of unusual size).

Stagflationary Mark said...

Hahaha!

I mean, if we only had a wheelbarrow, that would be something.

Anonymous said...

Just curious, have you ever read "The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglass Adams? Incidentally, there are four books in the the trilogy.

Stagflationary Mark said...

MAB,

I haven't. I'd probably enjoy it though. I tend to lean towards the darker books that make me cringe. These days I'm getting my fill just reading the news though. Go figure.

Anonymous said...

Given your sacastic bent, you should give it a read. Very short book. I think I read it in two sittings. I stumbled across it in college. Written on the inside cover were directions to read it and pass it on. There were about thirty signatures. A couple of months later my roommate was reading it and there were many more signatures. Kind of a pre-blog thing, but not something that will generate enough sales to get you on the best seller list. Great book, but it appears to have suffered the same fate as Meatloaf's first album. As I recall, it was only being read by science and engineering people.