Monday, December 24, 2007

"Young Punks" Have Not Embraced Stagflation Story

I have to start with an apology. This is hardly the Christmas Eve headline I was looking to find. To be quite honest it seems a bit harsh. However, it cracks me up just the same. It has a certain Clint Eastwood feel about it, don't you think?

Rising inflation may cause Treasury bond yields to spike
"I am an old school guy," Ake added. "Ten-year notes are supposed to trade off inflation. The Fed is telling you it's rising and the European Central Bank is telling you ... and China is worried about it."

I've yet to be burned siding with the old school guys.

Until recently, only a small group of contrarians dared to warn about the danger of "stagflation," referring to the feeble economic growth accompanied by surging inflation that marked the oil shocks of the 1970s and 1980s, for fear of sounding alarmist.

Ringin' the frickin' alarm bell since 2004. That's what I want on my tombstone! If I am wrong (and I very well could be) it will at least give the next generation something to laugh about. Oh how I hope I am wrong!

"People are betting on inflation coming off because of a weaker economy," Ake said. "But you have a bunch of young punks who were not alive in the 1970s ... people have lived without it for so long that they have forgotten how insidious it is."

I was six years old in 1970. I remember that era all too well. Okay, maybe I don't, lol. I can say that I can read history though. As a saver, commodity driven economies scare the heck out of me. Bullish investors of today seem to think it is all perfectly normal though. Go figure.

Inspirational Quote of the Day

If you're going to be a bear, be a grizzly. – Brian K. Vaughan



We ought to make the pie higher. - George W. Bush, February 2000

The cost of Thanksgiving dinner was 31% higher this year than it was the year when he said it ($32.37 in 2000, $42.26 in 2007). It was up a whopping 11% in the last year ($38.10 in 2006, $42.26 in 2007). The price of pie is now higher. Mission accomplished.

Source Data:

Image:Bear warning sign.jpg
Bushism: We ought to make the pie higher
Thanksgiving Dinner Cost Inches Higher This Year

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have invested in many a turkey in my day.

Teri said...

I remember the 70s really well. Anything in particular that you'd like to know? Basically, unless you were young enough to like disco or Jimmy Carter, it sucked. I did own a cool Gremlin though. Cost 2 grand new.

Anonymous said...

I drove a lime green rambler

Stagflationary Mark said...

I was driving Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars at the time. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

One thing that sticks in my mind from the 70's was how truly ugly the cars were.

Just think of the PACER and the sporty PACER X. The ugliest car of all was the MATADOR.

Stagflationary Mark said...

Adam Brown,

Hi, this is not so related to your page, but it is the site you asked me 1 month ago about the abs diet.

As you are all too aware, I have never asked you about the abs diet.

Thanks for the spam built on a false premise. Here's one back at ya!

I can't wait to visit your site!!!

(Truth be known, I can wait and others will too. I'm deleting your comment.)