Sunday, September 12, 2021

5 Great Reasons to Like Verizon’s Stock

September 11, 2021
The Motley Fool: 1 Warren Buffett Stock Perfect for Dividend Investors

1. This isn't Berkshire's most exciting investment, but could be a great fit for income seekers.

2. It's essentially a utility at this point.

3. To be fair, if I were closer to retirement age, I would probably like Verizon better.

4. It's probably the best dividend stock on this list.

5. What looks more attractive, Verizon or a 30-year Treasury right now?

Of course, this retiree might be more than a bit biased as a dividend and income seeker, who recently bought utilities thinking they were more attractive than the 30-year Treasury, then sold some utilities to buy a stock that is essentially a utility.

They are definitely preaching to the choir. Verizon has not been a good performer in the very short time that I’ve owned it, but I’m keeping the faith. Nothing goes straight up.

8 comments:

Mr Slippery said...

I am also a VZ stock holder for the same reasons. I bought it last year and am nursing a small drawdown. However, I don't plan on selling any of my dividend holdings unless the company reduces the dividend. I am happy making 4.1% forever.

Anonymous said...

Whadda y'all doin' with ya dividends? Reinvesting or cashing out?

Stagflationary Mark said...

Anonymous,

https://youtu.be/K_qrsewuTwo

DRIP, DRIP, DRIP

It’s clearly a song about dividend reinvestment plans. Right? Why else would a guy my age have it in a Spotify playlist? No other explanation makes any sense at all! ;)

Anonymous said...

Buying stocks at all time record highs in the stock market and following tips from an online investment website.

Sounds like a recipe for success to me.

I still remember reading posts from sensible bloggers in the 2000's who made valid points for doing anything but. But times change. Permanent plateau's and all that.

Anonymous said...

Pump and dump? Hint: Pick a more illiquid stock.

Lol.

Stagflationary Mark said...

Oh, man. Now you tell me. I thought I was supposed to scoop and pump. ;)

Mr Slippery said...

> Anonymous Anonymous said...
> Buying stocks at all time record highs in the stock market and
> following tips from an online investment website.

You can buy stocks at record highs, or bonds at record highs (record low yields), or put it in a savings account at record low rates. If you invest, you are doing it at record highs (or lows) no matter what you do.

Stagflationary Mark said...

Of course, you also have the option to just withdraw it as cash and stuff it under your mattress.

It’s a bit risky though.

Burglar #1: “Hot damn! Look at the height of that bed!”
Burglar #2: “Record high! Record high!!”
Burglar #1: “We’re gonna need another wheelbarrow!”
Burglar #2: “And a bigger truck!”
Burglar #1: “It’s like a fairy tale!!”
Burglar #2: “The Princess and the Trillion Peas!”