Monday, September 20, 2021

Trading Update (Tongue-in-Cheek)

Sold zero shares of pipeline stocks to buy one unit of Pipeline game.



If time is money, then I expect this trade to provide a very negative return on investment. That's the amusing thing about games. The more time they waste, the more value they have. If this one ultimately wastes 50 hours, for example, that will bring its cost down to just $1 per hour. It's a very reaasonable goal for entertainment, in my very humble opinion.

For those interested, there are highly-rated unofficial solo rules available. That's probably how I will mostly be playing this one, assuming I can't talk anyone of the female persuasion in this household into embracing this gaming experience. A fairly safe assumption!

It's just another Panic Monday. No big deal, in the grand scheme of things. I'm comfortable with my current investments. No desire to sell.

6 comments:

Mr Slippery said...

My record is over 5000 hours on Grim Dawn, the best video game I've ever played. It's an ARPG like Diablo, but more in depth and replayable. It's very complex and has a long end game which is appealing to me, but can be a turn off for many people.

I haven't really played 5000 hours because many nights, I left it running in the background so it racked up 8-10 hours overnight. Still, it's thousands of hours for a $40 game, $60 with all expansions. That's entertainment value, and I'm still playing it. It is simultaneously a badge of honor and disgrace.

Stagflationary Mark said...

I am very impressed!

My best is Dai Senryaku Exceed 7 for the PS2.

http://illusionofprosperity.blogspot.com/2011/03/dai-senryaku-exceed-7.html?m=1

No idea how many hours I’ve played it, but I’m not done yet. Comes in waves. I play it until I burnout, but I never stay burned out permanently. I might still be playing it 20 years from now, assuming I have enough PS2 controllers in reserve. I’ve already worn out a few, lol.

Anonymous said...

A bit off topic, but it looks like you traded out of VPU at an opportune time. Well done!

Stagflationary Mark said...

Yeah, hindsight is being kind so far. As a group, the stocks I moved into have a small gain. The same cannot be said of VPU since I reduced my exposure substantially. The recent rise in the 10-year yield did some damage.

I still like VPU long-term though, especially at this lower price. That’s assuming that we are truly trapped in a low interest rate environment long-term, which I do believe. And if I am wrong to believe it, heaven help those who have embraced extreme leverage to buy shares in companies with extreme leverage. *cringe*

Anonymous said...

I can see why interest rates should go up, but I can understand why they won’t as well.

To quote an old wag, “I feel strongly about it both ways.”

Stagflationary Mark said...

The First Theory of Cynical Illusion of Prosperity Blogging

1. If interest rates go up, savers will be rewarded.
2. This economy can no longer afford to reward savers.

It’s not a law. It’s not even a scientific theory. It does have a fairly good track record since this blog started in 2007 though. Stick with what works until a better theory comes along, I say.

In all seriousness, I believe it. It’s not about waiting for better rewards to come along. It’s about locking in what rewards are left before they are gone. Very cynical, I know. Now get off my lawn! Ha! ;)