Saturday, August 15, 2015

Study: Body Mass Index Report Card No More Effective than Mirrors and Peer Pressure

August 14, 2015
Body Mass Index Reports Have No Effect on Student Health, Study Says

After studying data from Arkansas, Gee found that students who received the BMI ratings in 11th and 12th grade did not have different health outcomes from students who did not. He found no statistically significant differences between the changes in self-reported diet and exercise behaviors or body mass index of the two groups.

I'm not trying to suggest that some high schoolers can be cruel, but if you are a seriously overweight junior or senior in high school and don't actually know that you are overweight, then you just aren't hanging around the sort of people who might set you straight, lol. Sigh.

In all seriousness, although I was not overweight in school, I could certainly stand to lose a few pounds now. I'm reminded every time I see a mirror.

On the one hand, I bought a used HealthRider on craigslist this past spring, I've been working out a lot, and have been taking hikes down to the river near my house. I refuse to ever become obese.

On the other hand, cream cheese was recently on sale at Costco. Blueberries were recently on sale at my local grocery store. Hello cheesecake. Hello blueberry muffins. Bad girlfriend! Bad! Bad! :)

No comments: