Saturday, November 15, 2014

If This Recovery Was a Burger... (Pulp Fiction Edition)

I worked at a branch office of a Japanese landscape architectural company in the early 1990s. When their epic real estate bubble popped, so too went my job. I was laid off.

So, without further ado, let's see how we're doing since our epic real estate bubble popped. Or put another way...

If this recovery was a burger, then what kind of burger would it be?

The following chart shows the 12-month moving average of landscape architectural services employment.


Click to enlarge.



I would be the last to argue that the economy hasn't been expanding again, but perhaps it is not the sustainable "recovery" that many investors seem to think it is. Don't you find it the least bit concerning that one of the areas hardest hit (landscape architectural services employment) hasn't recovered at all?

UWLA: Chair's Message

In the face of the grand challenges of our time, landscape architecture like many other professions is in need of refocusing and rejuvenation.

Grand challenges? The recession ended more than 5 years ago! This is the expansion!

Why do I get the feeling that many recent landscape architecture graduate students are now working with burgers? And yes, I would like fries with that.

Seriously. I am not optimistic. Sigh.

Source Data:
BLS: CES Databases

No comments: