Thursday, May 5, 2016

Breaking News: Imports from China Nosedived in Q1

As seen in this chart I created using the St. Louis Fed's database of economic data, imports from China fell 6.66% from the first quarter of 2015 to the first quarter of 2016. I kid you not. 6.66%.

Many might consider -6.66% to be the devil's work. They might point out that a fall of that magnitude is nearly unprecedented, with the only exception being during the Great Recession (also seen in the chart). Not me!

Instead, I consider this to be absolute proof of our strong and resilient economy. Rather than buying cheap goods from China this year which would ultimately add to our many overworked American landfills, many Americans are clearly now choosing a smarter path.

We're spending all of our money on good old-fashioned American services, ranging from good old-fashioned American nail salons which fill our many strip malls to good old-fashioned American financial services where good old-fashioned American advisors will tell us, for a small fee, that we can always expect the good old-fashioned American stock market to grow 10% each and every year. Always has, always will.

Warning: Definitely NOT Safe for Work!

5 comments:

mab said...

our many overworked American landfills

It's beneficial as long as it adds to GDP! Where would we be without bottled water?

dearieme said...

My morning paper: "The British high street suffered its heaviest drop in sales last month since the financial crisis ... a 6.1% fall ..." Happily, an explanation was to hand: it was the weather wot dunnit, the British being entirely familiar with a coolish April. Heavens, it even hailed: how very dare it.

Stagflationary Mark said...

Where would we be indeed!

The Flint Michigan Bottled Water Theme Song

If I could save lakes in a bottle
The first thing that I'd like to do
Is to save Huron Lake till eternity passes away
Just to drink it with you

If I could make lakes last forever
If words could make wishes come true
I'd save Huron Lake like a treasure and then
Again, I would drink it with you


Bottled Great Lakes water never tasted so good!

Stagflationary Mark said...

dearieme,

Cool in April sounds like a nightmare scenario.

We had record shattering heat in April this year, so I wasn't able to shop at Sears any more than I did last year, or even the year before that. Yeah, that's how hot it was. The good news for Sears investors is that I didn't actually shop any less though, for what that's worth, lol. Sigh.

Stagflationary Mark said...

Broken link. Here is a better one hopefully.